• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looks like the Hornets are officially back!

CardiacCats

I'm very happy about this.  I am concerned about the possibility of massive financial losses for next year for the team though, seeing how we'll have a lame duck name and logo.   If the NBA was serious about making some more money, and helping the franchise out, they would send this through immediately so the team doesn't have to eat an even more horrible fiscal year in addition to the cost of the name change.

I'm very happy about this.  I am concerned about the possibility of massive financial losses for next year for the team though, seeing how we'll have a lame duck name and logo.   If the NBA was serious about making some more money, and helping the franchise out, they would send this through immediately so the team doesn't have to eat an even more horrible fiscal year in addition to the cost of the name change.

Fix the on court product and then this might matter.

This.

Like my Dad said today at lunch when we talked about a name change. " doesn't matter if they call themselves the Charlotte cowturds if they don't start winning "

Good news as well if this does in fact go into effect in 2014 (the 18 month time frame that's been thrown out).  Stern owes MJ for a few reasons...wouldn't mind having the lottery fixed in our direction for once to unleash Wiggins/Parker whoever on opening night with the new name change. 

This.

Like my Dad said today at lunch when we talked about a name change. " doesn't matter if they call themselves the Charlotte cowturds if they don't start winning "

understood, but look at it from the perspective of those of us that grew up Hornets fans.

Think that the panthers moved to La, we lost the team, we get a new Word that we are going to get a new team and the new owner who's name is Peter griffin calls the new team the Charlotte Griffins(note: a griffin is a mythical creature with the body of a lion and the wings and head if a eagle) how would feel? The team you love was taken away and supplanted with a new team that was owned by a egomaniac that names the team after himself. And proceeds to do nothing other then try and cash a check with the franchise. Would you not be excited if a home town hero bought the team from the egomaniac and brought back your old teams name? This is huge bro biggest sports story to me since I don't know when in regards to local sports in NC.

my team is back in town and I'm completely stoked!

understood, but look at it from the perspective of those of us that grew up Hornets fans.

Think that the panthers moved to La, we lost the team, we get a new Word that we are going to get a new team and the new owner who's name is Peter griffin calls the new team the Charlotte Griffins(note: a griffin is a mythical creature with the body of a lion and the wings and head if a eagle) how would feel? The team you love was taken away and supplanted with a new team that was owned by a egomaniac that names the team after himself. And proceeds to do nothing other then try and cash a check with the franchise. Would you not be excited if a home town hero bought the team from the egomaniac and brought back your old teams name? This is huge bro biggest sports story to me since I don't know when in regards to local sports in NC.

my team is back in town and I'm completely stoked!

I don't know how i would feel if the Panthers left and we inherited the Griffins.

But I know a lion with eagle wings sounds badass!!!

Glad the Hornets name is coming back. But unless there is a significant improvement on the court then the name change and re-brand won't matter a great deal. 

Glad the Hornets name is coming back. But unless there is a significant improvement on the court then the name change and re-brand won't matter a great deal. 

Not necessarily. The sale of Hornets merchandise will pay back the cost of the rebrand and generate a profit from the decision, giving the franchise more money and better staying power. More money can lead to better players, which leads to a better team. The name also generates attention to players, many of whom grew up Hornets fans (remember the Hornets were basically the Thunder before the Thunder).

Archived