• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Worst Position Groups in the NFL: Defense

chknwing

Other than Cap, and Godfrey, we really don't know what we have yet. I'm cautiously optimistic that Ron can get something out of this group. He never had blue chip players in the secondary in SD but he had a #1 defense.

I just want to throw this out there. Godfrey's best position is FS. Mitchll's best position is SS. At least they will be playing to their strong suits.

IMO, a rotation of Josh, Josh, Dockery, with Capt and Moore could be decent. Nothing earth shattering, but steady.

All we really need is to limit the big plays, like we did last year. Make teams struggle to score. Maybe create a turn-over or two a game. Keep the score in the low 20's, and we have a chance to win. Win the turn-over battle, and we have a shot. Play tough smart aggressive D, and we are good.

Man, how can you not be excited for the future?

I really believe our secondary will produce quite a bit more turnovers than they have in years past. DJ Moore had quite a few interceptions in his short career thus far and Captain scored multiple touchdowns for us last season after making a play on the football. 

Add in our pass rush and the coverage skills of our linebackers, I can see a lot of quarterbacks forcing passes leading to tipped passes and poor decisions and what you get is an opportunistic secondary that have shown the ability to force turnovers in the past. Our safeties will be playing the positions best suited for them now and Thomas, Norman, and Dockery should continue to get better and improve from last year which isn't saying much.

Somehow, someway, I am cautiously optimistic about our secondary. I really think with the pass rush and linebacking corps we have our secondary will be able to take full advantage of QBs hurrying throws and making poor decisions. 

The CBs are completely forgettable, and while the SS is a hard hitter, the FS has a knack for taking bad angles to the ball.

Sounds like the Panthers secondary, doesn't it? That's because it is. From our Super Bowl run of 2003.

Terry Cousins, Ricky Manning Jr., and Reggie Howard. So completely forgettable that I did and had to look them up.

Mike Minter and Deon Grant. I love me some Mike Minter, but fleet of foot he was not. Deon didn't seem to thrive until after he left Carolina.

All I can say is there has GOT to be 3 corners on our roster better than Cousins, Howard, and Manning. Only 1 of them was close to 5'11'' btw.

Safeties, hmmm, let's just say I hope Mike Mitchell also shares Mike Minter's hard hitting ability along with the initials in his name. Charles Godfrey better treat this year like a contract year, or else he'll be cut and playing somewhere else like Deon Grant. Godfrey's contract is too big for average production.

Other than Cap, and Godfrey, we really don't know what we have yet. I'm cautiously optimistic that Ron can get something out of this group. He never had blue chip players in the secondary in SD but he had a #1 defense.

Ron had tons of high draft picks playing in that secondary....

As much as I hate most of what the talking heads say about the Panthers I must agree with them on this one.Our Safety play cost us games last year and if I were Rivera I would be banging the table for Gettlemen to bring in a starter.

Archived