• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated. Need Suggestion for Yard Work.

chknwing

It's almost impossible to go from 50+% of weeds to less than 10% in the same season....it usually takes at least one full cycle before you begin to see very noticeable results.

-Keep your grass cut weekly. This chops off the tops of weeds so they can't flower and reproduce seed. Be careful not to cut it too short.

-Put down crabgrass preventer in the early spring/late fall

-Fertilize, with weed control pre emerge quarterly

-do not aerate and seed your lawn while using pre emerge. What I have always been told is wait at least one season before aerate/seed. The pre emerge does not allow for any growth, so putting down grass seed won't work.

Also bag your grass if you can. Keeping it cut short will keep the weeds from coming to seed. Bagging will ensure no additional seeds make it to the ground to grow.

It's almost impossible to go from 50+% of weeds to less than 10% in the same season....it usually takes at least one full cycle before you begin to see very noticeable results.

-Keep your grass cut weekly. This chops off the tops of weeds so they can't flower and reproduce seed. Be careful not to cut it too short.

-Put down crabgrass preventer in the early spring/late fall

-Fertilize, with weed control pre emerge quarterly

-do not aerate and seed your lawn while using pre emerge. What I have always been told is wait at least one season before aerate/seed. The pre emerge does not allow for any growth, so putting down grass seed won't work.

So much wrong in this post not sure where to begin.

It's not impossible to go from a weed filled yard to less than 5% of weeds.

No need for crabgrass preventer in the fall.

No need to wait a season to reseed when you use pre emergent.

You wouldn't be using a pre emergent in the fall when you would reseed. So theres no need to wait to plug and seed.

Like I said. Anyone serious about getting a premier looking lawn should go to a local landscaping supply store and get a recommended care schedule for their grass type growing in their area. Soil types will vary as well as seed types and climates.

Mine looks like poo too. Get some spray weed control, fertilize, don't cut it really short, and water it.

Do you try to use roundup type spray or something that you spray all over the yard?

I put down weed and feed in the back yard and got the in ground irrigation working, and it's doing much better than the front.

Backyard is probably 75/25 grass to weed, but front is 50/50 with huge chunks of weeds.

I am trying to be patient, but it's killing me.

Centipede is just slow cuz it's runners are above ground. If you've got the dough then till it up and put zoysia sod down. That's what is at the entrance of Brunswick forest in the medians and such. It's really nice.

Centipede is just slow cuz it's runners are above ground. If you've got the dough then till it up and put zoysia sod down. That's what is at the entrance of Brunswick forest in the medians and such. It's really nice.

Gotcha.  Didn't really want to drop a couple thousand, but if I can't get it under control this summer that's probably what I will do.

Archived