• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Updated. Need Suggestion for Yard Work.

chknwing

Price depends on the size of the yard and more importantly how many & how big the trees are. Trees = leaves. And getting leaves up in the fall is way more labor intensive than cutting grass.  Once you have the yard in good condition cutting edging and trimming every week is not all that hard. If you have the right equipment and know how.

And I love people who hate yard work,   great supplemental income

I grow a lot of clover/dollar weed so I may need some weed, feed, and seed consultation as well. Although I would like to maintain it.

Couple bottles of weed-b- gone from lowes. The type you hook up to hose pipe , these work very good. I use them every year on a bunch of yards  cost you $20,  or you can call trugreen-- chemlawn and they will charge you $125 for the same stuff sprayed out of a big tank sprayer.

24D is what kills the broadleaf plants and want harm the grass as long as you do it before it gets into the 90s

I am starting to try to work on my yard, and am still looking for a grass feed, and weed killer that will work for centipede.

Having a bit of a hard time honestly.

Ironite now.

15-0-15 slow release when it gets warmer, but not during a drought.

• 2 weeks later...

Ironite now.

15-0-15 slow release when it gets warmer, but not during a drought.

You seem o know a lot more about this than me....

This new yard is about 1/2 weeds 1/2 centipede. Weeds re burning back now but I have some dry sandy areas with no grass.

Really starting to look bad now.

So you think water and 15-0-15 slow release will give the grass enough of a boost to start chocking out the weeds?

This new yard is about 1/2 weeds 1/2 centipede. Weeds re burning back now but I have some dry sandy areas with no grass.

So you think water and 15-0-15 slow release will give the grass enough of a boost to star

Mine pookt chocking out the weeds?

Mine looks like poo too. Get some spray weed control, fertilize, don't cut it really short, and water it.

So you think water and 15-0-15 slow release will give the grass enough of a boost to start chocking out the weeds?

Don't be too surprised or upset it it takes more than just this season to get the yard back to looking good.  The early growing season is over and weeds like the heat more than grass.

You will probably fight it all season. 

It's almost impossible to go from 50+% of weeds to less than 10% in the same season....it usually takes at least one full cycle before you begin to see very noticeable results.

-Keep your grass cut weekly. This chops off the tops of weeds so they can't flower and reproduce seed. Be careful not to cut it too short.

-Put down crabgrass preventer in the early spring/late fall

-Fertilize, with weed control pre emerge quarterly

-do not aerate and seed your lawn while using pre emerge. What I have always been told is wait at least one season before aerate/seed. The pre emerge does not allow for any growth, so putting down grass seed won't work.

I forget the name of the place I went to so many times when I was down there, but it was off north college in an industrial park close to a neighborhood. This place is a landscaping supply type place and sells every lawn product you will ever need and gives out care guide sheets for the type of seed you go with. I highly recommend doing this for wherever a person lives. I did last year when I moved to the triad, and my yard is already above average for the block. Normally it will take four years to get your yard straight, but if you take the right steps and put something down pretty much every month you will be ahead of the curve.

Aerate and seed this fall, then seed again next spring.  The only way to truly get rid of weeds is to swarm them with grass or they'll just come back.

The care sheets i mentioned will say to seed and aerate in the fall. Use a starter fertilizer when you do, and don't put straw down because it has a ton of weeds in it. Doing this in the spring will not be totally pointless, but a lot of the root system will not be developed enough by summer and the heat will just burn it up. Fall is the best time.

One tip that won't be on care sheets is this. Stop by a bait shop and get earth worms and throw them on bare spots in your yard before it rains. They will aerate for you.

Archived