• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Walterfootball's 2013 Draft Awards

JawnyBlaze

We got three honorable mentions:

Best value pick 1st round (Vikings got the award for Floyd, we were first honorable mention listed)

Best value pick 2nd round (Packers got the award for Lacy, we were the second honorable mention listed)

Best undrafted free agent signing (Saints got the award for Chase Thomas, we were the first honorable mention listed for Lester)

No mentions of us on any negative awards.  I thought we might get a mention under "Top Draft Newcomer", but the Jets new GM won that one...not exactly sure how...but whatever, Walter was pretty positive about our draft.  His overall draft grade for us wasn't spectacular, but because we didn't address the secondary or WR not really because we made any bad picks.  Which is to be expected from outsiders.

Sometimes you have to have a "lets see what we have" year for certain areas of the team, when you have a lot of young, unproven players like we do in the secondary and WR corps.

We did it for the D line the last two seasons, and it was addressed. You just can't cut everybody that's not a pro bowler every year. I don't know why no one understands this.

No one wanted us to draft Vaccaro in the first, but the same people think a fourth round safety would be the missing piece to our Superbowl run.

It's going to take another year or two.

No one wanted us to draft Vaccaro in the first, but the same people think a fourth round safety would be the missing piece to our Superbowl run.

It's going to take another year or two.

Could not agree more. Just someone else to complain about in bad coverage.

We just had too many holes to be fixed in one draft no matter how well we drafted. We realistically need 5 more first round talent type guys. Cant fill 10 holes with 5 picks; three of them being late round guys who you are lucky in they are in the league in two years. Thats what FA is for. Still going to take a couple more years to build this team the way we want to. That being said we still have a few spectacular players that are talented enough to overshadow some of those holes and make us a good team.(Cam, Luke, Smitty, DE's, RB's, etc.)

I still feel our needs are LT, RT, SS, FS, WR1, CB1, CB2, G, TE2  And thats not including needed depth.

WeI still feel our needs are LT, RT, SS, FS, WR1, CB1, CB2, G, TE2  And thats not including needed depth.

Not sure I completely agree with this statement. Could these positions be upgraded? Yes, I think they all can. Should future replacements be brought in to groom for the next 2-3 years. Yes, at LT and WR1 particularly.

Are they areas of need to field a playoff caliber team? Not all of them. The Panthers were probably a competent RG and LG away from being a playoff team last season. Bad playcalling and all.

Still need that RG position filled with a vet. It's not an important position until you have horrible performance there. Then, it stifles the entire offense. Other than that, the team is better than it was at the start of last season.

Newton and Amini turned a corner the second half of the season. DT is likely improved through draft. WR and DB depth is improved through FA. And LB is greatly improved just by Luke starting the season in the middle.

I think DT, RG, and arguably RT were the only areas of need before the draft.

edit: competent FS play at the beginning of the season could be added to RG and LG as positions as positions that killed our playoff hopes. But Godfrey looked very comfortable there at the end of the season and may have found his true position.

Archived