• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"It's like day and night"......

sml1950

So you think Meeks hire was just another surrogate for Foxy's defensive philosophy... think again according to Dan Connor's answer of how this year's and last year's defense compares, on this afternoon's Kirwin/Ryan Sirius show. Some highlights:

- everything's simplified,no thinking, read and react to the ball, it's like high school again.

- he's taking reps as #2 in middle and strongside

- he's going from 240 to 230 to get quicker(ACL is completely healed) and be able to cover the middle third of the field ( cover 2) and works with the safeties on turning his hips in coverage.

On draft picks...

- E Brown was a great pick and could be a very special player. He already has a pro body.

-S Martin is making plays all over the field.

- Goodson has the kind of speed to run away from people, even in the pros and you have to find a way to get him on the field.

Thanks for sharing.

All encouraging news. If Connor can't start, at least we know we've got great depth. It's interesting to hear that Sherrod Martin is "making plays all over the field," as I hadn't heard much about how he was performing in the OTAs.

It seems everyone is really impressed with Goodson, and with his speed in particular. I could really see him as our fourth receiver, return man or -- dare I say it -- a Wildcat option?

Thanks for sharing.

All encouraging news. If Connor can't start, at least we know we've got great depth. It's interesting to hear that Sherrod Martin is "making plays all over the field," as I hadn't heard much about how he was performing in the OTAs.

It seems everyone is really impressed with Goodson, and with his speed in particular. I could really see him as our fourth receiver, return man or -- dare I say it -- a Wildcat option?

and our patented 3rd and super-duper long draw, although D.Will is a beast at those.

If Connor is taking reps at #2 Mike and Sam, did Johnson get shuffled over to Will? If not, that means either he's not going to make the team or he'll start over Diggs at starting SLB. I doubt that Landon makes the team at one linebacking position...that eats up a roster spot.

Happenstance Johnson is working on both ends, that could spell the end of Anderson experiment.

Cmon now we all know Fox controls the defense and anyone he hires is just a puppet. It things going according to plan Meek's defense will start off great and during the bye Fox will come in and screw it up on purpose because we all know he wants to control everything even if things get worse. Just like he did in 2005 and 2006 when we had a good defense.

Wait...............

Nevermind................................

So you think Meeks hire was just another surrogate for Foxy's defensive philosophy... think again according to Dan Connor's answer of how this year's and last year's defense compares, on this afternoon's Kirwin/Ryan Sirius show. Some highlights:

- everything's simplified,no thinking, read and react to the ball, it's like high school again.

- he's taking reps as #2 in middle and strongside

- he's going from 240 to 230 to get quicker(ACL is completely healed) and be able to cover the middle third of the field ( cover 2) and works with the safeties on turning his hips in coverage.

On draft picks...

- E Brown was a great pick and could be a very special player. He already has a pro body.

-S Martin is making plays all over the field.

- Goodson has the kind of speed to run away from people, even in the pros and you have to find a way to get him on the field.

not surprised

There's "simplified" and there's "simplified".

Mike Trgovac's version of "simplified" was to always have the corners cover a certain side of the field. That version allowed smart opposing OCs to pick their matchups. It screwed us fairly often, big time in the playoffs.

(what annoys me most about that is that Gantt had a column a day before the game where he said the team should stick Chris Gamble on Larry Fitzgerald's hip; he knew it, I knew it, others knew it; apparently everybody knew it but Trgo, and - by extension - Fox)

Hopefully, Meeks version of simplified is the kind that allows defenses to avoid overthinking while also not being susceptible to misdirection. That's one of the big reasons why speed is so key to his scheme, because if the defense is just "simplified" then misdirection becomes a weakness. Team speed minimizes that weakness.

There's "simplified" and there's "simplified".

Mike Trgovac's version of "simplified" was to always have the corners cover a certain side of the field. That version allowed smart opposing OCs to pick their matchups. It screwed us fairly often, big time in the playoffs.

(what annoys me most about that is that Gantt had a column a day before the game where he said the team should stick Chris Gamble on Larry Fitzgerald's hip; he knew it, I knew it, others knew it; apparently everybody knew it but Trgo, and - by extension - Fox)

Hopefully, Meeks version of simplified is the kind that allows defenses to avoid overthinking while also not being susceptible to misdirection. That's one of the big reasons why speed is so key to his scheme, because if the defense is just "simplified" then misdirection becomes a weakness. Team speed minimizes that weakness.

Very good points. As you say simplified for us to execute doesn't necessarily mean simple to defeat or figure out. In the end great execution makes any defense great. I thought of misdirection as an issue as well particularly in a swarming pursuing defense. Still the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Very good points. As you say simplified for us to execute doesn't necessarily mean simple to defeat or figure out. In the end great execution makes any defense great. I thought of misdirection as an issue as well particularly in a swarming pursuing defense. Still the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Overpursuit's another worry given that we'll be facing some good cutback runners. Of course, they'll also be facing one of the better ones in practice on a regular basis.

Overpursuit's another worry given that we'll be facing some good cutback runners. Of course, they'll also be facing one of the better ones in practice on a regular basis.

As you mentioned recovery speed is critical in a defense built to swarm to the ball and keep things off the edge and toward the middle of the field. Another positive for us will be if we can continue to be stout against the run with Kemo in the middle. Indianapolis under Meeks was good in pass defense only because teams ran all day against them. If we can stop the run it will force them to pass which actually will play into our hands. I would love to see us swarm to the ball and aggressively try and get a turnover. Having everyone doing their best Chris Harris imitation would be a welcome change from the bend don't break tactics under Trgovac.

This doesn't surprise me because from everything we've heard thus far this is going to be a different defense. I think a simplified "read and react" type defense suits us well, we have some of the best athletes on defense in the NFL.

Archived