• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I think our secondary could be historically bad

CardiacCats

We still need someone to cover #1s...if we can get that I won't care to much about the safetys...cpaitin on a #1 though is horrifying.

Given Gamble went down for most of the year exactly who did it last year?? Seems to me we did a pretty good job with a suspect interior D line where our safeties and corners had to play the run first and pass secondly and were very vulnerable to play action. With a better D line play and our linebackers settling into their roles, the secondary can concentrate on defending the pass which should give us better results.

If the QB has time its impossible to stop WRs that can run proper routes. I dont care who your DBs are.

Playing man, there is no way to stop a come back route, slants and drags are hard to defend as the DB will be a second / step behind the WR as he has to react after the cut, there is always soft spots in a zone.

We improved or stayed the same at every position except LT. However, you have to consider the maturity of youth as improvement, as the aging of veterans over 32 or so as declining. I doubt Dwan has the year he had in 2012, for example, becuase he is aging and 2012 was his best as a pro. However, Short should allow the position to improve because he is rotating in and will be better than Chandler.

Well said. Not much to disagree with there.

Many of you have no clue what a front 7 like this does for the secondary. No idea whatsoever. And a historicly bad? Give klme a break. Its the same dudes from last year and then some

Well, historically bad is silly. Too good of a front 7 and Rivera is a great D mind.

But we had a great pass rush last year....what happened in Chicago, Tampa, Atl were not examples of "well any DB will get beat with no pass rush". We simply had bodies at DB that shouldn't of been starting for a NFL team.

But your Dwan point causes concern on O for me.....bc most likely guys like Smitty, Gross, RBs, etc will be worse. They are trending down bc of age.

I don't think we have offset by adding offensive depth

I agree. I think we are OK at RB, but WR and T--concerns. Is Hixon, Gettis, etc enough if Smitty hits the wall? No. If Gross goes down or slides, what do we do?

we really need a LT and WR next year.

Gamble went down in week 4. That is 12+ games where someone covered the #1&2 WR. We finished middle of the pack, even if we only improve slightly, that should be good enough.

Our pass rush slowed down later in games, mostly because of a lack of depth. With Star and Short. That fatigue will not be there. We will be rushing fresh bodies all game long. That is huge.

Another aspect that gets overlooked is the fact that teams will now have to max protect. Leaving fewer players out in passing routes. That is in our favor as well.

The fearful will always find something to fret over. But, honestly, with this D. That shouldn’t even be a consideration.

1. Its the same secondary the Panthers had all last year that was 10th in defense. The only players lost are Gamble, that missed all season and Martin, that rarely played.

2. Webb was added at CB and Mitchell was added at S.

3. The DL is much, much more talented this year than last.

Conclusion: This thread makes no sense.

Archived