• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I think our secondary could be historically bad

CardiacCats

Josh Thomas is our given strong point. I don't know if anyone noticed but he can play ball and did it well last season.

You've got Josh Norman coming back with a fire lit/something to prove and also, I don't think people realize how solid of a vet we got in Drayton Florence. Add in having a strong nickel in either DJ Moore or Munnerlynn and I'm fine with the unit.

For the safeties, if they trust in Campbell and Godfrey, I'm going to trust our defensive minded coach who has a proven track record with this position in developing guys.

We'll probably add another secondary guy but the unit isn't that bad especially considering our d-line just got even better.

Let me attempt to understand this logic....

Norman will not be a rookie and now has experience.

Thomas was successful and is still very young, looking to build on a solid season.

Dockery played very well.

Munnerlyn is coming into his prime and was solid at nickel.

Moore can play S or nickel, giving us a ball hawk at either spot.

Godfrey sucked at SS but was better at FS.

Campbell is no longer a rookie and has valuable experience now.

Mitchell is a hard-hitting SS, something we lacked in 2012, who can start.

Nakamura and Martin will not be starting.

Our defensive front is about to show the NFL how to pressure the passer. QBs will no longer be able to easily step up into the pocket. Hardy and CJ and Alexander are young, experienced, and hungry.

How do you expect the secondary to be worse? This is what Gettlemen was talking about. You have to let your players develop--sometimes, the answer to the need can be found on your roster.

Take a look at some of the talent that was allowed to develop here, and talent that was not.

Charles Johnson, Greg Hardy. Both struggled early. What if we brought in a veteran or high draft pick to replace them after their rookie years?

What about Evan Mathis?

This secondary will improve in 2013. Maybe not where we want it to be, but it will be a lot better.

This guy gets it.

After holing up and watching film our Gm, a 26 year pro-personel guy, said he didn't see any glaring holes on this team. I think I trust that assessment. It's not like an ex-beat writer made that statement.

So does that mean the team is filled with underachievers?

Gettleman said in a press conference not too long ago that he wasn't worried about the secondary. From the outside, our secondary doesn't look too good, but I trust Gettleman. He knows about 1000x more about our team than I do.

What would he say if our secondary was poo and was a worry? He would pimp the guys exactly like he is now...acting like there are guys here who can play until it gets fixed

I have heard from more than one Panthers employee that Josh Norman had a lot to do with why they were not concerned as much with CB. Early word is he took his benching the right way, ie motivation to get it back.

There was only one problem with Norman and its very correctable. I didn't/don't see the need for CB.

Let me attempt to understand this logic....

Norman will not be a rookie and now has experience.

Thomas was successful and is still very young, looking to build on a solid season.

Dockery played very well.

Munnerlyn is coming into his prime and was solid at nickel.

Moore can play S or nickel, giving us a ball hawk at either spot.

Godfrey sucked at SS but was better at FS.

Campbell is no longer a rookie and has valuable experience now.

Mitchell is a hard-hitting SS, something we lacked in 2012, who can start.

Nakamura and Martin will not be starting.

Our defensive front is about to show the NFL how to pressure the passer. QBs will no longer be able to easily step up into the pocket. Hardy and CJ and Alexander are young, experienced, and hungry.

How do you expect the secondary to be worse? This is what Gettlemen was talking about. You have to let your players develop--sometimes, the answer to the need can be found on your roster.

Take a look at some of the talent that was allowed to develop here, and talent that was not.

Charles Johnson, Greg Hardy. Both struggled early. What if we brought in a veteran or high draft pick to replace them after their rookie years?

What about Evan Mathis?

This secondary will improve in 2013. Maybe not where we want it to be, but it will be a lot better.

This really should be good enough. But it seems some Huddlers want a perfect team, which is just not possible to put together. The secondary will be good enough.

I think out run D will be better.

Pass D will be an issue with what we have right now....when the rush doesn't get there. Pass rush wasn't an issue last year. Not realistic for the rush to get there enough to mask our lack of talent for a season.

Thats an issue for every team.

Archived