• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I think our secondary could be historically bad

CardiacCats

CB: James Dockery, Josh Thomas

SS: DJ Campbell

FS: Colin Jones

That was literally our lineup for the majority of the second Falcons game. We had them shutout for 40 minutes or something before going all prevent.

No need to worry that much about the secondary as long as Greg Hardy, Charles Johnson, Star Lotulelei, Dwan Edwards, Kawann Short, and Frank Alexander are on the field. Like Gettleman said.... hard for the opposing QB to throw the ball well if he's always getting knocked on his ass.

Edit: And IIRC, Hardy didn't play in the 2nd game. We still kept Brees and co in check until late in the game when we allowed 17 points in 4 minutes or something stupid because of prevent again.

I don't think any aspect of our defense will ever be historically bad with Ron Rivera as coach.

This...Rivera is going to have a front seven that will support the secondary we have available. I'm also pretty confident that the personnel we have will be better overall than what we sawlast year at times....historically bad? That's crazy talk.

It wasnt bad at the end of the season. It was only terrible when Naka was starting.

With our front 7 you could put my sister out there and we would be fine

Our secondary got absused last year and we got pressure.

Rookie DTs will be just that at first...and we already generated more pressure per snap I believe than any team last year.

Our secondary is a big issue. Pass rush helps a secondary. We had a pass rush last year....secondary was so bad that didn't matter. Slightly better DT play in 2013 in pass scenarios doesn't suddenly make a liability of a secondary not one

Our secondary got absused last year and we got pressure.

Rookie DTs will be just that at first...and we already generated more pressure per snap I believe than any team last year.

Our secondary is a big issue. Pass rush helps a secondary. We had a pass rush last year....secondary was so bad that didn't matter. Slightly better DT play in 2013 in pass scenarios doesn't suddenly make a liability of a secondary not one

Our secondary fnished 12th in the league last year, and would have been higher if Naka didnt start all those games.

Our secondary fnished 12th in the league last year, and would have been higher if Naka didnt start all those games.

Those type rankings are flawed...we also sucked against the run and sucking at that make your pass D appear on paper better.

I think many people are underestimating both Josh Thomas and D.J. Campbell. As well as how important the strong safety position is to the defense. We don't need an all-pro at SS, just someone who won't do what Nakamura did last year and give up big plays on a regular basis.

As for corner... Josh Thomas is poised for a breakout year, IMO. He looked very good at times last year and was almost always solid at least. We won't have an elite secondary, but it will be good enough with our front 7 to produce a potentially top-5 unit, IMO.

Archived