• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I think our secondary could be historically bad

CardiacCats

On PAPER it doesn't look great but that's why we play the game. I'm a huge fan of Thomas and Campbell. I'm optimistic. No reason to get down and read into the future without seeing what we really have. In the games that Thomas/Campbell played and started, we played great. Who knows. Let the kids play.

Rivera made a Chargers team with far less talent on the defensive side of the ball amongst the league's best. Gettleman is a straight shooter and believes the answers to our secondary woes are already on the roster. The way he has talked up Norman makes me cautiously optimistic about him. Godfrey might show significant improvement at his new position. Florence and DJ Moore force turnovers and I believe that is going to be an emphasis for this unit once again.

They were serviceable with a poor DT core last season. Now we have two monsters in the middle with two double-digit sack artists on the outside and The Kraken is in a contract year. The linebackers have the potential to be among the leads best if healthy and I am confident they will be even if Beason isn't quite at the level we are used to prior to his injury. Luke will lead this entire unit and I am confident this front seven can lead us to the promise land while a physical secondary should be good in run support and force plenty of turnovers thanks to the constant pressure up front.

Not saying we have the same pieces.. but Seattle took Sherman in the fifth round, Chansellor in the fifth round, Browner was UDFA and played in CFL and they have the best secondary in the NFL. I've got a weird gut feeling that Norman is going to be REALLY good and Thomas is going to be more than solid. Call it delusional.. but I like what we have.

We basically have last year's secondary + D.J. Moore and Drayton Florence at CB and Mike Mitchell (and potentially Robert Lester) at S. We finished in the top-10 in total defense with that group. No reason to think we can't improve on that with the upgrades to the DL.

How are we going to be historically bad? We were middle of the pack last year and we improved our defense across the board. The only players we may miss are James Anderson and Jason Phillips. Gamble didn't really play last year so you can't act like he is a big loss. We brought in a veteran in Drayton Florence. A decent young guy in DJ Moore. We retained all of the guys that played for us with the exception of Sherrod Martin. We might be the same but we won't be the worst ever.

Archived