• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the FO satisfied with our DT situation?

koolkatluke

Ummmm Yes it is easier to find 3-4 OLB, than 4-3 DT and DE....however it is very very hard to find 3-4 NT and DE. Very few players can play the D line in a 3-4.

yes that is true. I think we have them though. I am not the coach of course and not saying that we should switch but if a team cannot sustain rush wiht 4 down linemane there is no reason to play 4-3 IMO.

The "elephant in the room" as Fox would say is the question as to whether we pick up a DT after cuts? That move or non-move will answer the topic of the thread. We've got to wait until August though.

Also, money isn't a major issue as a cut player has to negotiate a new contract. We have enough room for a veteran DT in a cap-friendly deal.

Wouldn't be surprised if we sign a veteran or two. Still we have to decide which rookies and young players we like. If we decide to keep a couple of the rookies like Harvey, Irvin or Favorite or second year players like Lorenzo, Oshinowa and Hayden in addition to our starters, it doesn't leave a lot of room to sign very many veteran guys.

Remember, this isn't Trgo/Fox's scheme anymore. Meeks' DL is expected to penetrate and make plays in the backfield rather than take on the OL and allow the LBs to make the plays. If/when we pick up more depth, it will likely be a smaller, quicker DT.

Remember, this isn't Trgo/Fox's scheme anymore. Meeks' DL is expected to penetrate and make plays in the backfield rather than take on the OL and allow the LBs to make the plays. If/when we pick up more depth, it will likely be a smaller, quicker DT.

I am hoping for more of a combination of quick collapsing DEs and stout big DTs who can stuff the run. We can do what we did last year on third down and replace guys like Kemo with someone like brayton who is smaller but faster. I really don't like the idea of going so small though that we get bulldozed by teams like Philly, Dallas and the Giants who all have big offensive lines. We need to be able to mix and match depending on the opponent.

I would hope the FO is never "statisfied" with any group on the team.

Yup,..."we're always looking to get better". Man, seems like I've heard that quote once, from somewhere and someone that must have been years ago :rolleyes:

Hint: He's a coach for a nearby team that re-uses quotes like his favorite pair of undrewear and said that very statement not more than a week ago. ;)

It's not like there's a lot out there.

Outside of a guy like Darwin Walker or DeWayne Robertson, who do you get? Trade options involving Peppers appear to be pretty much off the table (and that would have been a trade-off anyway). And say you sign one of these guys. You then have to let a young guy go to make room (at DT or elsewhere).

Unless somebody that the team still thinks has some gas in the tank is let go between now and training camp or as camp progresses, there just ain't much to pick from.

I'm hoping too keep 4 DT on the roster and 1 on the practice squad. With 1 being a 330lb monster and the other can be a speed rusher. Or vice versa but I definitely think we too pick up a vet.

yea to me i see

kemo

lewis

irvin

after these 3 i think its a competition

Hell, we won't even know what we actually have until they've been in pads for a while. Even the veterans are gonna be asked to play a different style than what they're used to, so we really don't even really know about them yet. This TC is gonna be big for every one of those D-linemen, regardless of draft status or years in the league.

Archived