• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the FO satisfied with our DT situation?

koolkatluke

I think we need too either sign a veteran or hope that 1 of the rookies step up and make a impact. We are looking very thin at this position and, I think that this is the most important part on the defence. We didn't start our slide on D until Kemo and Lewis got ding up. That's when we started giving up points on defence. We were top 5 until that point. If we can fixed this spot we can be a unstoppable team. What can we do too strengthen this position before TC?

I think we need too either sign a veteran or hope that 1 of the rookies step up and make a impact. We are looking very thin at this position and, I think that this is the most important part on the defence. We didn't start our slide on D until Kemo and Lewis got ding up. That's when we started giving up points on defence. We were top 5 until that point. If we can fixed this spot we can be a unstoppable team. What can we do too strengthen this position before TC?

I agree we are thin there and at least need to add some depth...but I felt the same way last year before the season and nothing was done. I expect the same this year, especially with tight cap space.

Walker wasn't...isn't a dominant player. He'll just be another stop-gap. He's not a top-teir player. We need a starter of starting calibre. Kemo is good at stuffing the run, that's his MO. I don't think Lewis would start for many teams.

both kemo and lewis shouldn't really be on the field for all three downs

kemo can't push the pocket and lewis isn't the greatest against the run

nobody has mentioned our raw 3rd rounder yet, he should help out a little bit, he'll be a hell of a lot better than having an UDFA and a 7th rounder like we had last year during the giants game

I was cool with them ignoring the saftey position for so many years but that was because they had beasts on the D-line

It doesn't really seem to fit fox's philosophy to have such piddly D-tackles

Once again they'll be adaquate but nothing more, and depth with be an issue

both kemo and lewis shouldn't really be on the field for all three downs

kemo can't push the pocket and lewis isn't the greatest against the run

nobody has mentioned our raw 3rd rounder yet, he should help out a little bit, he'll be a hell of a lot better than having an UDFA and a 7th rounder like we had last year during the giants game

I was cool with them ignoring the saftey position for so many years but that was because they had beasts on the D-line

It doesn't really seem to fit fox's philosophy to have such piddly D-tackles

Once again they'll be adaquate but nothing more, and depth with be an issue

Raw is the key word..this year was a bad year for DT..so i an not exspecting a lot from him..at least not now

the only way that you gain an advantage using the 4-3 is if you a can sustain a physical and dominant rush along the line and force the opposing QB into poor decisions. If that is NOT happening with the starting 4 and the stable of revolving reserves a team is better served finding LB athletes that can cover and rush and playing 3-4. In my opinion it's a hell of a lot easier to find OLB's than it is to find a roster full of DL's and DE's that can dominate but when/if you can find those the 4-3 is very effective.

Playing the 4-3 is not effective by itself. Yo have to staff it. If you don't aor can't you should not run it. Obviously Fox and Meeks think they can staffit or they would make a change.

either that or they are both stupid. You choose.

I think we're ok at the position. We've added Irvin in the rotation so that should help us. Once Peppers signs the tender we may sign Dewayne Robertson for some depth.

How would Peppers signing the tender impact us signing Robertson?

We do not currently have the cap space to sign him.....and that does not change unless Peppers signs a LONGTERM Contract. Which, I do not think he will (at least not yet).

Raw is the key word..this year was a bad year for DT..so i an not exspecting a lot from him..at least not now

Yup. While looking into the various draft sites, I saw on more than one occasion that most DT positional rankings outside of Raji and possibly Jerry, the next tier of DTs (2nd and 3rd rounders) would have been fifth and sixth rounders in most other drafts. In other words there was about a 3 round deficit in talent at the DT position in this year's draft.

As far as Irvin, he was a reach in the third by many estimates I saw, placing barely inside the top 10 DTs in some rankings and as low as the mid-teens in others. I think we took him as the 4th or 5th DT off the board. I hope the guy does well, but I don't see him having a major impact on this team.

the only way that you gain an advantage using the 4-3 is if you a can sustain a physical and dominant rush along the line and force the opposing QB into poor decisions. If that is NOT happening with the starting 4 and the stable of revolving reserves a team is better served finding LB athletes that can cover and rush and playing 3-4. In my opinion it's a hell of a lot easier to find OLB's than it is to find a roster full of DL's and DE's that can dominate but when/if you can find those the 4-3 is very effective.

Playing the 4-3 is not effective by itself. Yo have to staff it. If you don't aor can't you should not run it. Obviously Fox and Meeks think they can staffit or they would make a change.

either that or they are both stupid. You choose.

Ummmm Yes it is easier to find 3-4 OLB, than 4-3 DT and DE....however it is very very hard to find 3-4 NT and DE. Very few players can play the D line in a 3-4.

Archived