• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bill Cowher Is Overrated

Guest RT81

one of the most uninformed threads on the huddle

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Bill Cowher is not an "overrated pos".

In Cowher’s 15 seasons, the Steelers captured eight division titles, earned ten postseason playoff berths, played in 21 playoff games, advanced to six AFC Championship games and made two Super Bowl appearances [winning one]. He is one of only six coaches in NFL history to claim at least seven division titles. At the conclusion of the 2005 season, the Pittsburgh Steelers had the best record of any team in the National Football League since Cowher was hired as head coach.

-via Wikipedia

This blows up your argument of Cowher being "overrated".

I agree 100% lebeau was the reason for pittsburgh success not cowher hell pitt just won another sb without him so that shows you how imporant bill was to the system.

Oh so if Fox actually has back to back winning seasons or if we win the Super Bowl, it will be all cause of Meeks right? Double standards are a b*tch.

The Steelers are an example of a great franchise all together. Great GMs, great coaches, great players, great teams overall.

And I don't know know why some never say that a team can have a "system" and also have great players/coaches

Fox is a very good coach, but not on Cowher's level. That doesn't mean we need Cowher. :)

You have to look at the competition that Cowher had in his division too. It was pretty crappy for a large part of his tenure in Pittsburgh. Hell, John Fox would thrive on playing the Bengals and Browns twice a year, and he has pretty much owned the Ravens when the Panthers have played them.

I don't think fans of Cowher pay much attention to his record, unless they are defending him on a message board. IMO, fans love Cowher because of his coaching style, wearing his emotions on his sleeve, up in the player's faces. Fox has a different style and I think the players on this team appreciate it, it maintains their dignity when he doesn't call them out on the field in front of 70,000 people. Can you imagine crawling into Steve Smith's face when he dropped a pass?

:lol:

For my own part, I don't remember Cowher really singling out his players and screaming in their faces during a game as I do remember him doing so to the refs... of course, my memory may be failing me in my old age

Remember when the panthers got crushed by the steelers a few years back, and a player got an interception towards the end and started showboating while he was still returning the ball? Cowher got in his face and lit him up. That's a specific one I remember.

one of the most uninformed threads on the huddle

This blows up your argument of Cowher being "overrated".

Oh so if Fox actually has back to back winning seasons or if we win the Super Bowl, it will be all cause of Meeks right? Double standards are a b*tch.

Fox turned a 1-15 team to a superbowl team 2 years later so I think he knows what he doing and yes meeks will be a help to get us back to the SB but coach fox has turned us into a contender where before he was here we was the laughing stock of the nfl.

Coach Fox is not going anywhere. But if things turn against him, there is one coach I want to take over the team and that would be Cowher. But to be honest I think Cowher, if he wants back into the NFL, he needs to set his sites on another team.

Archived