• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 2: Panthers select Kawann Short

Kuech the Sneak

Pretty sure his line was one of the worst last year, but keep talking out of your ass. Cam came up gimpy more times than once, ask Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Colin Kaepernick how much a line helps the offense. It all starts upfront on BOTH sides of the ball.

you are an idiot to think i don't know the value of both lines. Thanks for playing though.

Come again.

I love this pick.

A great pass rushing dtone prospect.

We finally take care our out biggest needs, and fans are complaining.

Go ahead...cry.

I'll continue to rejoice.

Im right there with you man. I feel most fans are coming around and realizing what we got though.. except the occasional tard that claims we should have "filled a "hole"

The problem with the whole "shoring up the line" theory with going with another DT in the 2nd is that very few rookie DTs come in tearing it up year one. With glaring holes in the secondary and guys that could come in and be the best at their respective positions immediately as rookies still available to be drafted, this seemed extremely stubborn and foolhardy.

This is Gettleman's first year, so it's hard to go all hater on him, but if the results don't show early, this move won't bode well for his reputation with fans. Then again, if he just drafted Dwan's successor with no drop off in production in Short and a core team guy in Star, we just amassed our greatest DL ever (outside of 2003).

Summary: I'm not a fan of the move, as-is, right now, b/c of the holes we had elsewhere and the potential we had to trade back and get more picks. I also think it was extremely arrogant of Gettleman to rule out trades yesterday. If this guy turns out to be a worthy 2nd round pick, we will be forever thankful to Gettleman. Time will tell so I'm reserving final judgement, but I'm skeptical while still holding out hope he got it right. After Hurney, there is one thing I don't have much patience for, and that is front office personnel who refuse to adapt or adjust on the fly.

Again, I hope he's right.

Very few defensive backs come in and tear it up in year one. Patrick Peterson, Kenny Phillips, Dre Kirkpatrick, Leon Hall, Prince A, and Malcolm Jenkins played looked terrible just to name a few. I thought Panther's fans were tired of Hurney trading our picks away.

There are zero players in the mid-rounds of this draft worth mortgaging future picks over. Being too rigid is one thing, and following a winning blue-print is another. We have to solidify our interior defensive line.

We had numerous games in hand that our defense lost for us, and yes a big part of that was the terrible run defense. During the Giants game, we could not get off of the field because they were gashing our DTs. This helps solidify a glaring need. Its apples and oranges. To me, defensive tackle was way more of an issue than defensive back. Our GM was right on this one as we have one plus thirty DT on a one year rental. Now we have two rookies who were extremely productive in college. What is so bad about that?

Very few defensive backs come in and tear it up in year one. Patrick Peterson, Kenny Phillips, Dre Kirkpatrick, Leon Hall, Prince A, and Malcolm Jenkins played looked terrible just to name a few. I thought Panther's fans were tired of Hurney trading our picks away.

There are zero players in the mid-rounds of this draft worth mortgaging future picks over. Being too rigid is one thing, and following a winning blue-print is another. We have to solidify our interior defensive line.

We had numerous games in hand that our defense lost for us, and yes a big part of that was the terrible run defense. During the Giants game, we could not get off of the field because they were gashing our DTs. This helps solidify a glaring need. Its apples and oranges. To me, defensive tackle was way more of an issue than defensive back. Our GM was right on this one as we have one plus thirty DT on a one year rental. Now we have two rookies who were extremely productive in college. What is so bad about that?

Perhaps I should have said 'it has to grow on me.' It hasn't sat well with me initially, but I hope I conveyed in my original post that it's possible that we just assembled our best DL ever wih these two picks. If that is the case, the bargain bin shopping we did for DBs in FA may prove to be genius.

To be clear though, I was suggesting to trade back so we could acquire more picks, not give any futures away. Gettleman basically said he would not trade after we drafted Star. And while it's possible we just completely plugged the middle up, freed our LBs to run like mad, and just shortened opposing QBs time standing in the pocket by seconds at a time, I'm still troubled by our patchwork secondary... That was my concern. If this assembly of talent on the DL pans out though, it could negate the need for huge talent in the secondary.

I love the pick. The guys I wanted (Cyprien and Banks) were gone so this is great. He is a strong pass rusher which makes him the perfect complement to Star. I know a lot of people wanted a WR but give me guys in the trenches. We have great DE. We now potentially have great DT. LB is clearly a strength. You win in the trenches, you win the game. Gettleman knows this. Everybody loved him a few hours ago, let us give him a chance.

Nobody will confuse our DBs with a group of All-Pros but I think that our Secondary will get a lot better this year simply because our DL is better. RG still needs to be addressed but I like the way things are going.

Archived