• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 2: Panthers select Kawann Short

Kuech the Sneak

Plus, this actually does help Newton. Puts lets pressure on him to have to consistently score. I think this might be his most relaxed year as far as responsibility (if you know what I mean). Rookie year, defense was just horrific. Second year, our offense was just asking him to do everything which wasn't reasonable for someone still young. Now hopefully with a much improved or at least more consistent defense and hopefully an OC that balances it out more, Newton will be able to just be him.

Yep.

Weak defense forces Cam to win shoot outs.

I like the pick but you are one of the dumbest ass posters here. Because all you do is ass kiss and spin. This is a poorly run franchise but according to you they haven't ever done anything wrong. Sorry but Giants DB's aren't pedestrian, but they do get injured a lot. And the Giants definitely, use high picks on there DBs, so even if you do consider them pedestrian, they don't say "its ok we can have pedestrain DB's back there". So stop acting like we can get by with pedestrian corners it just stupid spin. I don't have a problem with the pick, but I do have a problem with your spin

High DB picks since the Eli era

1) #43 Cory Webster

2)#20 Aaron Ross

3)#31 Kenny Phillips

4)#63 Terrell Thomas

5)#76 Chad Jones

6)#19 Prince Amukamara

7)#94 Jayron Hosley

In the same time frame we drafted Gamble, Marshall, Godfrey, and Martin high. With Webster, Ross, Phillips, Thomas they hit better than us, and kept drafting.

Giants value QB, DL, CB, and WR in the early rounds. Once again, I'm fine with the pick but change your spin for goodness sake the Giants dont just say we will get by with pedestrians back there or they wouldn't draft them so high. .

That's swell but out of all of the players you listed, Ross and Webster were the only ones who played in their first Super Bowl victory. And Webster was hurt for most of the season.

I love this pick!!! If you visited the draft board you'd notice I talked about Short all the time and said he was a great value pick. He produced year after year. Let him learn behind Edwards for a year and learn the game. The Nfc south just got put on notice.

One thing I really love about Short is that he uses his hands extremely well and with force to maintain leverage and to keep the guard retreating. So while he might not get to the quarterback, he is preventing the quarterback from stepping up into a clean pocket when the outside pressure arrives (Johnson, Hardy).

Also, I appreciate just how well he splits double teams. As good of a pass rusher as he is, I think his power is really underrated.

Really, he is kind of similar to Nick Fairley in a lot of ways (and we got Short in the 2nd!) and we saw what happened this season with a healthy Fairley. He was damn near unstoppable at times. My only major concern with him is that he struggles against zone blocking. He can get washed away rather easily at times (watch his game against Wisconsin). Given his strength and quickness, I believe that can certainly be improved with coaching.

Also, the more you watch him play, the more you realize Purdue has a pretty bad defense around him.

Sure as hell didn't hate it yesterday.

Star was a huge value at a huge need. Kawann rounds out an infusion of youth in a position that has lacked talent and skill for years. However, from what I'm gathering, a lot of people still have a problem doubling down on the position.

I understand a lot of people think we need a WR. But the value wasn't at all comparable to Star at 14 and we already have countless second and mid-round picks already on the roster so why pick another? This isn't 2009-type WR talent we're looking at here (the only position that draft seemed to be strong in).

Archived