• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If Sharrif Floyd falls you will _________

CardiacCats

In a traditional 4-3 formation? Oh yes. Very underwhelming.

Shariff Floyd:

Tackles for loss: 13

QB Hurries: 6

Star Lotuleilei:

Tackles for loss: 10

QB Hurries: 0

Sheldon Richardson:

Tackles for loss: 10.5

QB Hurries: 7

Floyd looks like the best 4-3 DT on the stat board. On tape I see him constantly penetrating the gap he is assigned, dominating lineman, breaking off the lineman and locating the ball, and he is constantly in the play due to a non stop motor and incredible natural skill. He would not be better as a 3-4 DE, I have no idea where you are getting this from.

Sheldon is the best pass rusher and has insane athletic ability, but he is not as much as a run stuffer as the others, but that does not really matter when you are disrupting every other play being an athletic freak and all.

Star is not better than either of them, and Floyd is an obvious top three guy.

Shariff Floyd:

Tackles for loss: 13

QB Hurries: 6

Star Lotuleilei:

Tackles for loss: 10

QB Hurries: 0

Sheldon Richardson:

Tackles for loss: 10.5

QB Hurries: 7

Floyd looks like the best 4-3 DT on the stat board. On tape I see him constantly penetrating the gap he is assigned, dominating lineman, breaking off the lineman and locating the ball, and he is constantly in the play due to a non stop motor and incredible natural skill. He would not be better as a 3-4 DE, I have no idea where you are getting this from.

Sheldon is the best pass rusher and has insane athletic ability, but he is not as much as a run stuffer as the others, but that does not really matter when you are disrupting every other play being an athletic freak and all.

Star is not better than either of them, and Floyd is an obvious top three guy.

Kawann Short says

TFL:15.5

Sacks:7

STATZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Comparing Star, a run stuffer, to Floyd and Richardson shows a clear lack of understanding of the DT position.

I'm sorry, but it was immensely doltish of you to compare a NT to an UT.

That is not what I am attempting to do at all

=/

You are underrating Shariff Floyd, and I am just trying to show how dominant Floyd is, yes, stats do not show much, but when I put on tape of all the big dlinemen, Floyd and Richardson are the better, more impactful lineman.

That is not what I am attempting to do at all

=/

You are underrating Shariff Floyd, and I am just trying to show how dominant Floyd is, yes, stats do not show much, but when I watch YouTube clips of all the big dlinemen, Floyd and Richardson are the better, more impactful lineman.

FTFY

Most of the DTs that end up busting in the NFL are of the Floyd/Richardson mold. Their sheer athleticism carried them in college, but it didn't translate at the NFL level when they lacked the technique to utilize their athleticism.

More impactful than Star? No. If any coach dared to place just one lineman on Star, he'd send him flying back with just sheer force. It's not close. Lotulelei is the top DT in this draft because of his ability to dominate at the point of attack, collapse the pocket and plug virtually all the running lanes up the middle.

Floyd and Richardson are nowhere near that dominant.

I just watched three games where for a large majority of the game he was not double teamed, granted he was able to collapse them quite a bit, but more often then not, he was not impactful. He looked like he had a true dominant moment about 5-6 times in a game. I am not saying he is bad by any means, a top 20 player in the draft for sure, but if you compare the tape of Floyd and Star and see who disrupts the pocket more, it is clearly Floyd.

I need to watch more tape of Richardson to compare, but from what I saw he is constantly in the backfield. Put on the tape of him vs the best O-line in the country (Ala), constant double teams and he constantly gets to the backfield. They ran away from him.

Star is very good, just not really what the Panthers need at the moment, and not a better nfl player than Floyd.

FTFY

Most of the DTs that end up busting in the NFL are of the Floyd/Richardson mold. Their sheer athleticism carried them in college, but it didn't translate at the NFL level when they lacked the technique to utilize their athleticism.

Floyd has very good tech, it is one of his stronger points. Star is the one who needs to develop his tech, he relies on pure ability to disrupt the Oline and it generally worked, but not so much in the NFL.

You clearly have not watched the tape on him. Please go ahead and do that, and then get back to me.

I don't access to tape, but I've watched every video on youtube of him and the Gators defense. I was completely unimpressed. He gets blown up, washed out and ineffectualized (yea I made that word up, fug you squiggly red underlining) more than Richardson, Short, or any of the other UTs projected in the first couple of rounds. If we ended up taking him I'd hope for the best, but I'm not impressed by him.

I just watched three games where for a large majority of the game he was not double teamed, granted he was able to collapse them quite a bit, but more often then not, he was not impactful. He looked like he had a true dominant moment about 5-6 times in a game. I am not saying he is bad by any means, a top 20 player in the draft for sure, but if you compare the tape of Floyd and Star and see who disrupts the pocket more, it is clearly Floyd.

I need to watch more tape of Richardson to compare, but from what I saw he is constantly in the backfield. Put on the tape of him vs the best O-line in the country (Ala), constant double teams and he constantly gets to the backfield. They ran away from him.

Star is very good, just not really what the Panthers need at the moment, and not a better nfl player than Floyd.

Basically only interested in the last line, you really think the panthers need a ut more than nt? Because all the games I watched last year along with the fact we resigned Dwan makes me feel the opposite. However if you truly feel that way Id love to hear why.

Archived