• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fox and Others On Peppers......

AKPantherFan

------------------>

Peppers still the big issue for PanthersCHARLOTTE -- Basking in the warm glow of a summer school completed, Carolina Panthers coach John Fox spoke Tuesday of how “committed” his team is.

“I've mentioned more than once we have good leadership on this team,” Fox said. “Sometimes to get where you want to go you have to experience a tough time, and I thought late last year that loss at the end of the season stuck with guys.

“I've seen it carry over to our preparation and work this offseason. So I like what I see.”

Stewart eager to get back on field

Well, except for that one guy, the guy he needs to see most.

With the fun stuff over for now, the cold truth will once again smack the Panthers in the face, the reality that their best defensive player kept his offseason streak intact by not showing up. Since asking for a trade, and begging the Panthers not to use the franchise tag on him, the only contact Julius Peppers has had with the team has been scattered text messages to teammates.

“I prefer guys to be here,” Fox said when asked about Peppers' continued absence. “But I've had countless number of excellent football players who trained in the offseason off-site. Steve Smith has done it every offseason and he's had some pretty good years.

“So as long as a guy is working that doesn't bother me. And he's never given us reason to think he's not working and I don't think it should start now.”

It's a nice answer, but Fox was either missing or dodging the point. Because even though Smith lifted his weights elsewhere, he never skipped practices while pouting.

It's not about Peppers being in shape. It's about him being invested in the program if he does come back.

While everyone else was in Charlotte, he was God knows where.

While everyone else was sweating and sprinting, he was chilling.

While everyone else was learning a new scheme, he was contemplating a re-entry strategy.

So even though the Panthers are finished with practice until training camp, they still have the most important six weeks of the offseason in front of them.

They've already thrown the hammerlock on Peppers, made him say uncle. They've essentially broken him, and the hollow threats coming from his camp all spring. Despite the huffing and puffing, they did not trade him, because they never intended to.

The only option Peppers has left is the nuclear one. Refusing to show up is the last leverage Peppers has if he truly wants to leave, and to hear everyone tell it, he's not inclined to do so.

So while the Panthers have won the war, they now have to battle to get Peppers back in the boat.

Simply forcing him back to Charlotte isn't enough — there's no love in that arranged marriage. They have to engage him once he's back, to try to do something to make him want to stay, or at least make him productive until we go through this dance again next year.

Everything that's been said so far is geared toward that goal. Teammates have spoken glowingly about how successful Peppers would be in the team's new style. In fact, you could argue that the whole new defensive scheme was drawn to maximize his unique talents.

That's Fox's department. The contract stuff and diplomacy falls to general manager Marty Hurney, who has likewise done his part to smooth the way back.

Every agent hoping to bluff or enflame the Panthers general manager has left disappointed.

Though he's a proud Irishman with the requisite temper and ability to hold a generations-long grudge, Hurney has never let words affect work.

He has never risen to the bait, never responded when others attacked his plans or his judgment. He's stubborn, but artful, never raising the stakes by antagonizing the other side. Whenever agents and players —going back much farther than Peppers and pal Carl Carey — have chosen to get down in the gutter and roll around, Hurney has kept his hands clean.

That way, when it's time to reach out and welcome the player back in, he doesn't even have to wash.

It's going to be an interesting dynamic when Peppers returns, assuming he's going to. Left tackle Jordan Gross, whose own contract negotiations were playing out at the same time (a two-front war that nearly came to a bloody draw), said he can't imagine his erstwhile teammate not showing.

While some fans may seem spurned, players are all adopting the “it's just business,” mantra, knowing how much they need Peppers on hand.

“Personally I'll give him a high five and a hug and then I'll start worrying about one-on-ones in practice,” Gross said. “He'll be fresh and ready to go. Everybody will be happy to see him. It's no big deal to us.”

Gross said part of the reason no one's taking this one personally is that much of the drama has been out of character for the enigmatic defensive end. It's natural to be surprised, given that he has said so little over the years, then said so emphatically he wanted out.

“Julius is a private guy and that was a big speech for him, saying anything like that,” Gross said. “I'll be interested to hear what he says when he comes back. I have a feeling it will be positive things.

“He'll be back, and he'll be ready to play. I think when he gets that first sack, everybody will forgive him.”

more--- http://www.heraldonline.com/sports/story/1414822.html

Archived