• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remember Arizona......

AKPantherFan

Do you remember.....

Raising Arizona good move by Fox

Posted: Wednesday, Jun. 17, 2009

Slideshow

John Fox gave the Carolina Panthers something to chew on Tuesday just after they finished their final summer school practice and just before they left for a six-week vacation. Some of what he told them was familiar, but some was new.

As usual, the Panthers coach told his players he didn't want to read about them in the newspaper during their free time unless it was for winning the lottery. He told them to be safe as they scattered around the country.

And he told them something else: Remember Arizona.

Fox has always been a coach of measured responses, sometimes frustratingly so. He's a man who usually folds losses away in a corner deep in his mind because he knows the past can't change.

He's the personification of the “one-game-at-a-time” cliché.

But Fox has made a conscious exception this time – looking back for once instead of forward – and I think it's a move for the better.

Remember Arizona, Fox told the players. Remember how that felt. Remember how it all came crashing down – a 12-4 team with a bye into the final eight of the NFL playoffs that suddenly became a 12-5 team that was humiliated by 20 points at home.

“It's like that elephant in the room,” Fox said later, describing why he addressed the subject of that 33-13 loss five months ago with the players Tuesday. “It's there. You can't pretend it's not.”

Well, you could. Fox has ignored or minimized elephants in the room during the past (see Julius Peppers).

But not this time. This is an improvement for a coach whose initial reaction to the Arizona loss – saying “we picked a bad day to have a bad day” – was accurate but too flip and struck a dissonant chord in the minds of many fans.

Despite that quote, Fox took the loss very seriously. He told the players Tuesday the loss had left a “bitter taste” in his mouth for the past five months, according to running back Jonathan Stewart.

Linebacker Jon Beason said the loss to Arizona – in which Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald shredded the defense and Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme accounted for a staggering six turnovers – is never far from the players' minds.

“It comes up in conversation a lot among guys in the locker room,” Beason said. “And it's good that we are conscious of it.”

Fox agreed. “Sometimes to get where you want to go, sometimes you've got to experience the tough time,” he said. “I thought last year the loss at the end of the season stuck with guys. I've seen it carry over to our preparation and work this offseason. So I like what I see.”

Despite his conservative nature, Fox easily ranks as the best coach in Panthers history.

During his seven-year tenure at Carolina, the Panthers rank sixth in total victories (including the postseason) with 68, trailing only New England, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and San Diego.

But the Panthers have never won the big one. Neither has Fox during any of his NFL stops.

“Unlike some levels of football, there's only one happy team,” Fox said. “I don't care if you get to the Super Bowl or the championship game. If you're not that one in the end, it's disappointing. ... You are after one prize, and there's only one.”

More.... http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/784201.html

OK everyone knows i am a sucker for sentimental Little things, anyone willing to go in with me to buy the team "Remember Arizona" T Shirts?

I know its not the same as the "Mills/Fields" shirts from back in the day, but I think its something the team can draw strength from.

Honestly, how much of a motivator can it be for the team if they get a box of T-Shirts from the Fans that says "Remember Arizona".

(Remember the pain, Remember the the disappointment, remember how you felt, wear this shirt so you don't forget-now go out and make your future what you wish that game wasn't. Win us that trophy)

I think it could be a huge motivator and I am willing to put some $$$$ behind it. It could be a big building block for 2009, and God knows there is nothing wrong with a team having a mantra.

(We could get the Shirts made through an on line site (have to be all XL-XXL-XXXL- And maybe a few- XXXXL)

We could spend the next month and half to get the money up and send the team the shirts around the end of TC so the "selected team" gets them in time for the 1st Game. They would have to be white with black lettering.

Might cost about $400.00 or so. I have $50 on it. I just need 7 other people.

Any Takers?

What the hell? Where is all this coming from?

It's not necessary. Nobody cares. Not worth it. Save your money.

ok- I will put you down for no.. lol lol ....

Hey= Its an idea and if people are willing to suport it, then so be it.

$50 is the same as a drunk night out-- this people will remember.

What the hell? Where is all this coming from?

It's not necessary. .

For the 1st time since 2003 Fox thought it was necessary enough to remind the players.

Its the 1st time since he told them they weren't tough enough to play in the NFL that he has made such a statement.

I think its something to build on.....

If others feel the same, then we will go from there. If not then it will die.

no harm no foul......

Archived