• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DeAngelo Williams calls out jake Haters

rey2009

Williams defends team's decision to pay Jake :eek:

25jffar.jpg

Running back DeAngelo Williams defended the organization's decision to give starting quarterback Jake Delhomme a five-year, $42.5 million contract extension this off-season.

"We love Jake," Williams said. "That’s our quarterback. Contrary to what fans believe, or those non-fans that call themselves fans, Jake’s a great quarterback. He knows this system inside out."

Some fans were upset that the Panthers gave Delhomme an extension after he turned the ball over six times in a 33-13 playoff loss at home to the Arizona Cardinals in January. Delhomme was entering the final year of his contract prior to receiving the extension, which includes $20 million in guaranteed money.

"Every guy has a bad game at some point in his career," Williams said. "Unfortunately for him it happened that game. But he’s a great quarterback. It happened to us. I know I'm going to have a bad game one of these times and they’ll be calling after my head."

A quick update from Wednesday's practice.

1. To the surprise of no one, Julius Peppers did not attend OTAs. He's not likely to be here for the next three weeks. The team has said they expect Peppers back for the start of training camp Aug. 2, but we'll see.

2. Several key players were back on the field after sitting out the rookie minicamp. Among those back were safety Chris Harris, linebackers Jon Beason and Na'il Diggs, cornerback Chris Harris and defensive tackle Damione Lewis. That means all 11 starters except Peppers were back on the field. Charles Johnson continues to fill in for Peppers at right defensive end. Also, running back DeAngelo Williams was back on the field after sitting out the rookie minicamp session with a hamstring injury.

3. Still being held out are running back Jonathan Stewart (foot) and tight end Dante Rosario (back). Also, wide receiver Ryne Robinson sat out and Muhsin Muhammad was not at practice. (I'm still checking on the reason why).

4. Jordan Gross and DeAngelo Williams both spoke after practice and we'll have more on that later.

Check back shortly... Steve

site >http://carolinagrowl.com/SteveReed/archive/2009/05.aspx

Archived