• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DeAngelo for Darrelle?

TruCatzFan

You should have just said this:

"I don't really have anything to add to this conversation, so I'll just poke fun at TCF for the lolz and then add a really played out one liner at the end, worth at least 5 Internet brownie points"

When anybody wants to have a legitimate discussion about it PM me. I'm beyond tired of the immature back and forths on this site. Just want to talk about football and possible moves.

IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN!

I can bet my account that trading Revis for Dwill will not happen, it is even foolish to think so, you actually think they'll give up their ONLY star, the guy they build a defense around for Deangelo fuging Williams? You're a caricature.

^That. You want a legit football discussion, get a legit idea that would actually have a sheer chance of ever happening. If you honestly think DWill for Revis, straight up, is a trade that could work or would ever happen...you have bigger issues than someone lulz'ing at your internet post.

From a needs standpoint it makes sense for both parties. I'm also not a moron, and I realize it will likely never happen. Jets are trying to rebuild and stock pile picks for Revis. They just waited one year too long.

Williams for Revis straight up I think benefits the Jets more than us. With DeAngelo they know exactly what they're getting. We'd be rolling the dice on Revis, especially at the Corner position.

I'd like to note how finicky most people are here that complain about Wiliams and his contract every other week, but then suddenly want to keep him and not get rid of him.

From a needs standpoint it makes sense for both parties. I'm also not a moron, and I realize it will likely never happen. Jets are trying to rebuild and stock pile picks for Revis. They just waited one year too long.

Williams for Revis straight up I think benefits the Jets more than us. With DeAngelo they know exactly what they're getting. We'd be rolling the dice on Revis, especially at the Corner position.

I'd like to note how finicky most people are here that complain about Wiliams and his contract every other week, but then suddenly want to keep him and not get rid of him.

Part 1, contract issues only

Here is the deal, there is NO "Williams money" (from your previous comment) that we can pay Revis. As most of Williams salary was the signing bonus that money is already taken from the cap. Had he been given a ~$10M a year without bonus, yes we could have traded him and used "his" money for the new player. But as he was not we cannot do that.

I am sure you have seen the, hundreds, of threads about Williams contract, check anyone for detalis but the options are.

1. Trade before June 1st: Lose cap space this year.

2. Design as a June 1st trade. Gain about $1M this year.

Revis is demanding ~$15 a year. Even with the most possible Hurney magic tricks (like $56M signing bonus on a 6 year deal with $1M base salary, voidable after 4 years) will mean a ~$10M cap hit for 2013. This contract is terrible in every way possible including that fact that we would get ~$20 in dead money in 2017, but it is the only way I can see to get his number as low as possible for this year.

So, it is off the point we are talking about Revis. It could have been Brady, Manning, Petersen or Megatron. We do not have the possiblilty to sign any of them to the money they would demand as we neither have the cap space nor players enough with contracts that would give us more space even if cut.

So, it is not a personal thing with you. The way the nfl cap rules work, we cannot afford a new player that demands $15M a year.

Part 2, trade

This part is if we ignore contracts and just think: Is Deangelo in New York and Revis here a large enough win win so it could happen? I do not think so (and most other posters agree).

So you have made a suggestion that is not even possible (even if the Jets regarded Williams as better than Petersen) due to how the rules work. And in most peoples mind a decent player for a (if coming back healthy) really good one.

If think you have to live with being "lol"ed in this case.

P.S.

About the part with "will go to the Bengals for a 3rd". Sure, could happened. But is off the point as part 1 explains. Even if the Jets offered us to take Revis for a 6th we just could not do it due to the cap.

D.S.

I am sure you have seen the, hundreds, of threads about Williams contract, check anyone for detalis but the options are.

1. Trade before June 1st: Lose cap space this year.

2. Design as a June 1st trade. Gain about $1M this year.

I've never heard of a June 1st trade, unless that's a new CBA thing. But like you and other people said:

1. Deangelo isn't worth as much as the Buc's have offered, so they wouldn't take it.

2. It's impossible to free up the 20 million it would take to do this.

So, yeah, it's not going to happen. We could also try to trade Thomas Davis for Calvin Johnson, but that makes about the same kind of sense cap and value wise.

Cutting Williams as a June 1, asking him to take a paycut, or keeping him seem to be the only options

But the trade would be laughable if you were NY....they would be getting an expensive 30 yr old RB. That doesn't help them....Williams is a rental at this stage. Jets need building blocks

From a needs standpoint it makes sense for both parties

Let me stop you right here

No, it doesn't. Not even close.

Darrelle Revis, before his injury, was considered one of the best, if not the best Shutdown CB in the NFL. And at a very valuable skill position. He IS the Jets franchise, and if the Jets give him up, they want a lot. A lot more than we have to giv up with only 5 draft picks.

DeAngelo is 29, going on 30 year old RB with an injury history. Not to mention you can get a solid RB in almost any round in the draft or even sign a serviceable one for cheaper than D-Lo is and very well might have a better season than him too. We'd be lucky to get a 5th for Williams, and it's asinine to even entertain the thought of this trade outside of a Madden game.

This makes zero sense. Zero, zilch, nada. Even Marty Hurney would laugh at the idea of this trade, and he's the one who gave up our 2nd round pick for a Div.II QB to WR project.

I was listening to many Jet fans on NFLsirius the other day about Revis. They brought up something which I think is true I believe. Trading Revis at all might be a nightmare for the Jets. They are already the laughingstock compared to the Giants. They have no real stars outside of Revis who is arguably the best player on the team. Who would go to see the Jets play and pay the big bucks if their star left.

Unless they could parlay Revis into several picks which could either build their team this year or give them recognizable stars, they have a nightmare on the football side but also on the fan side. Williams does not have the star power to entice them to trade for him. If this were an up and coming quarterback then maybe. But a 30 year running back for Revis would be a disaster for the Jets PR wise. It won't happen.

I bet nobody so Anquan Boldin going to the 49ers for a fuging 6th rounder either. Stop knocking people for their ideas grow up. Nobody here works in any nfl front office poo that doesn't suppose to happen HAPPENS all the time.

ah yeah because trading a 6th round for an aging wr who wasn't willing to take a paycut and was close to being cut anyway until a last minute brother-to-brother call is exactly the same as trading around your franchise player yeah.

on top of that, he posted this here, on the Internet. it's fair game, he's liable to be called out and told his idea is dumb just like people can tell them they like the idea.

Archived