• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Some Steeler Fans Think Bill Cowher Wants To Coach The Panthers

Woodcookedbbq

More Panthers fans than Steelers fans want him to coach Carolina

I've been a long time Panthers lover since 1995, but if Bill Cowher takes over the program, I'll probably just go back to being a UNC fan. I've just never cared for Cowher...

I've been a long time Panthers lover since 1995, but if Bill Cowher takes over the program, I'll probably just go back to being a UNC fan. I've just never cared for Cowher...

And I believe that...

No, really, I do!! I'm sure you would stop loving the Panthers because they let go of a coach and hired another who had won a Super Bowl.

It makes a lot of sense to me.

Doesn't Cowher have a tremendous record when his teams had 4th quarter leads to protect? I saw somewhere that it was listed as just having 1 loss if the lead entering the 4th quarter was 11 points or more, but I can't verify that at the present. If true, I ask, how many times in the last 4 or 5 years have we let leads of that size slip away? I've been saying for some time now, if the game was only 3 quarters long, we may have been undefeated a couple of those years!

I'm not convinced Cowher can duplicate the success he had apart from the Steeler machine.

George Seifert had the highest winning percentage of any coach in history and two Super Bowl titles to his credit when he took over the Panthers. His goal in coming here was to prove that it was his coaching, not the system, that drove the 49er machine. He proved just the opposite.

It'd be a huge mistake to think the same thing couldn't happen to Cowher. Or, for that matter, Cowher could easily be our version of Jon Gruden (i.e. win one with the prior coach's players then slip into mediocrity for years after).

If he were hired, I'd certainly support him as a head coach. I'd have a hard time supporting the team going to the Coach/GM model (I hate that approach, and from what I understand so do the Richardsons) but I'd hope for the best.

I'm just not on the bandwagon that thinks he'd automatically take us to lasting glory.

You think Cowher was the defacto GM in Pitt? I am asking, I didn't think that was the case.

Either way, I don't think he'd be the guy I would want if it came down to a replacement. I'd be more likely want them to find a coordinator who appeared to be ready to step up to a HC position as none of the experienced options floating around out there, including Cowher, really appeal to me.

You think Cowher was the defacto GM in Pitt? I am asking, I didn't think that was the case.

Either way, I don't think he'd be the guy I would want if it came down to a replacement. I'd be more likely want them to find a coordinator who appeared to be ready to step up to a HC position as none of the experienced options floating around out there, including Cowher, really appeal to me.

Don't think he had GM power in Pittsburgh. Do think he wants GM power in his next job.

It's also true that as a general rule, I prefer rising coordinators to coaching retreads.

It's also true that as a general rule, I prefer rising coordinators to coaching retreads.

Your boy Tony Dungy was a retread, and he won the Super Bowl.

Dick Vermeil, the same.

Tom Coughlin

Jon Gruden

Bill Belichick

All Super Bowl-winning retread coaches in the past 10 years

Not saying I disagree, just saying...

I just like his attitude,I don't think Cowher is the kind of coach that will sit on a 3pt lead like Fox has a tendency to do,I like that killer instinct Cowher seems to have.Besides,there would be more highlights of the Panther games because of his temper tantrums and jutting chin,which would probably get the players more jacked up too,thus maybe even waking up our sleepy fans!

Your boy Tony Dungy was a retread, and he won the Super Bowl.

Dick Vermeil, the same.

Tom Coughlin

Jon Gruden

Bill Belichick

All Super Bowl-winning retread coaches in the past 10 years

Not saying I disagree, just saying...

None of those examples won a Super Bowl with their first team.

How many coaches can you name that have won Super Bowls with more than one team? (there ain't many)

Are there retreads that have been successful? Yep. There have also been guys like Mike Holmgren, Joe Gibbs and the afforementioned Seifert who tried to duplicate prior success and failed (Gibbs with the same team).

Add in that there are also plenty of examples of coaches who won the Super Bowl in their first gig. Cowher is among them, as is current Steeler coach Mike Tomlin. And although he didn't win his first trip, Lovie Smith wasn't a retread either (ditto John Fox).

Again, my preference is to "build my own star" as opposed to counting on someone to duplicate their success in another system (the same reason I prefer relying on the draft over free agency, but that's a separate discussion).

Archived