• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Masters

TruCatzFan

Tiger may have been in the exact same spot.

http://sports.yahoo....-204353354.html

The Augusta Chronicle on Sunday printed two photos by staffer Michael Holahan of Woods' two chip shots from the 15th fairway. The first hit the flagstick and rolled into the water, forcing Woods to take a one-stroke penalty and then drop his ball "as nearly as possible" to his original location.

The Chronicle circled various divots in the 15th fairway to show Woods' second shot was in almost the exact same location as the first.

29aw9bm.jpg

Jesus.

The Masters committee reviewed Tiger's drop as it occurred and right after and found nothing wrong with the drop.

If they had found a problem with it they would have discussed Tiger's thinking and actions before he even went in to sign his score card.

They didn't, some douche called in later after Tiger's presser and they looked at it again with his statements and called him in the next day to discuss his actions.

At that point they assessed the 2 stroke penalty which the Masters Officials would have done had they done their jobs correctly when the illegal drop occurred.

The Masters officials were as culpable as Tiger, did the right thing and Tiger complied completely with their rulings without complaint.

Get over it.

Except that he stated during his interview he purposefully dropped 2 yards father back on his second shot.

Everyone uses the word "intent" as a catch all. I have to ask one question. What if Tiger said he intended to ground his club in a hazard, but he didn't do it. Is that a penalty because he said he intended to?

If he "said" he meant to drop the ball 2 yards away but he didn't, is that a penalty?

Everyone uses the word "intent" as a catch all. I have to ask one question. What if Tiger said he intended to ground his club in a hazard, but he didn't do it. Is that a penalty because he said he intended to?

If he "said" he meant to drop the ball 2 yards away but he didn't, is that a penalty?

I don't think so. You should only be penalized for an action, not an intent.

I think the rules committee made several mistakes in this situation. It was not handled very well imo.

Having said that... they had already ruled that there was no infraction, but when Tiger made his comments, it kind of forced them to review it again. Erroneously or not, they found that he committed an infraction and penalized him.

I suspect the longest lasting effect of this situation is that golfers will be MUCH more careful about what they say in post round interviews.

Archived