• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stallworth gets 30 days for murder.

Kevin Greene

I think you guys are missing the key....you decide to drink and then you decide to drive, then you are negligent! You don't accidentally drink and drive!

A drunk behind the wheel is a loaded weapon just waiting to be fired...the stats don't lie! You drink + you drive + you kill = you pay the price!

30 days is just incredible. Read the initial post...was facing up to 5 years and got 30 days!

You jaywalk + you get hit by a car + you die = your estate should be sued for the damage to the car, plus the emotional torment that will be lifelong for the poor guy that hit you. Psychiatrists are expensive.

this is a very good post...I'll give you that. I guess for the last paragraph though, giving someone 30 days for drinking and driving and causing the death of a human being sure doesn't act as much of a deterant for the next person to do it. So who benefits from him being put away longer? Perhaps the parents or loved ones of the next potential victim of a drunk driver. I'm not saying an eye for an eye or anything like that, but 30 days isn't much of a deterant in my eyes....especially for a pro athlete who is supposedly a role model. Just my opinion

Considering you wouldn't last 30 minutes in jail, I'm sure it would successfully deter you from drinking and driving again.

Considering you wouldn't last 30 minutes in jail, I'm sure it would successfully deter you from drinking and driving again.

and you know this how?

I'd like to consider myself smart enough not to end up in jail! I make a fraction of what Stallworth and all his high priced football buddies make, I probably drink more than all of them and yet, I've never been busted for DUI!

and you know this how?

I'd like to consider myself smart enough not to end up in jail! I make a fraction of what Stallworth and all his high priced football buddies make, I probably drink more than all of them and yet, I've never been busted for DUI!

I don't know this. I'm just assuming that because of your personality of casting stones and your holier than thou rhetoric would get your ass kicked fairly quickly. I'm not trying to start anything with you Hawk, I'm just saying you are quick to pass judgments without having walked in someone else's shoes.

I don't know this. I'm just assuming that because of your personality of casting stones and your holier than thou rhetoric would get your ass kicked fairly quickly. I'm not trying to start anything with you Hawk, I'm just saying you are quick to pass judgments without having walked in someone else's shoes.

I'm not sure why you feel I am casting stones, and I certainly do not consider myself holier than anyone, in fact, I like to think of myself as just the opposite...I just have ZERO respect for anyone that gets behind the wheel after they have been drinking, that's all. As for walking in other's shoes...I am not sure what you are getting at there, but the shoes I have walked in are those of the people that have been very closely effected by being the victim of a drunk driver. I'm sure Stallworth feels remorse and it is something he'll have to carry with him the rest of his life, I don't envy that, and ya, the victim had a part to play as well. My whole point of all of this is that 30 days for drunk driving causing death is a complete joke...and I'm pretty confident that if it were you or me behind the wheel...we'd never get off the same.

I'm not sure why you feel I am casting stones, and I certainly do not consider myself holier than anyone, in fact, I like to think of myself as just the opposite...I just have ZERO respect for anyone that gets behind the wheel after they have been drinking, that's all. As for walking in other's shoes...I am not sure what you are getting at there, but the shoes I have walked in are those of the people that have been very closely effected by being the victim of a drunk driver. I'm sure Stallworth feels remorse and it is something he'll have to carry with him the rest of his life, I don't envy that, and ya, the victim had a part to play as well. My whole point of all of this is that 30 days for drunk driving causing death is a complete joke...and I'm pretty confident that if it were you or me behind the wheel...we'd never get off the same.

I do agree with you on that. If it were you or I, we'd be royally screwed. However, I think that they looked at it more like they could destroy two lives by locking up Stallworth, which in turn ruins his football career, and makes it impossible to get a decent job as a felon with no driver's license when he gets out. Or they have this guy that made a mistake, but has done everything he could since the second it happened, including calling the cops, trying cpr and everything, and take his influence as an NFL player and maybe make him a national symbol against drinking and driving.

I mean, the life of an NFL player is already pretty hectic, so even if he somehow managed to average a couple hours EVERY SINGLE DAY for community service, it will still take him a couple years to complete that.

Not to mention the 10 years probation. I've never heard of that, and the people I used to hang out with in my youth ALL had criminal records. And never having a license again? That pretty much means whatever money he makes in the NFL had better last him his whole life, because it's tough to have a career without a mode of personal transportation. Can you imagine not even being able to drive to the store to get a pack of smokes, or diapers or formula for your kid?

I got a friend who got locked up for murder and got 25-Life when he was 17, charged as an adult. He got out in 13 years for that murder beef and still only has 5 years parole for it.

Not saying what Stallworth got was right. Some people are just bad people, and they should be locked up and prison should be their permanent home. Sometimes though, good people make bad mistakes, but it's better to have those people try to better society than just throw away the key on them.

Yeah, but the reason for that is that we wouldn't be able to afford to settle with the family financially. That is the law down there, it's not special circumstances. I agree it's despicable. But they changed the law years ago. We need to quit trying to look at it because he's a football player, he doesn't play for a local team, what do they care? It's a law, if you can satisfy the family of the deceased, then it's considered an accident in FL and by those standards, his punishment is actually quite harsh. Never being able to drive again? That means a driver for the rest of your life, think about it. 10 years probation? Two years house arrest? Think about that. 1000 hours community service? Think about that. Plus the jail time, 30 days or not, jail time is not fun. Those aren't stopgap punishments...

Never being able to drive again? That means a driver for the rest of your life, think about it. 10 years probation? Two years house arrest? Think about that. 1000 hours community service? Think about that. Plus the jail time, 30 days or not, jail time is not fun. Those aren't stopgap punishments...

a family lost a loved one....think about that!

Ummm, I think I addressed that. The family is fine, why aren't you?

because, this is something I have a lot of passion about. Anyone here knows I am not a confrontational person, and never argue about anything this long if ever....

the family is fine? So, if I killed a member of your family and followed it up with a nice fat check for you to cash...you are fine? Come on Mintal...even I know you don't believe that for a second.

It's all a bunch of bullshit and whether he paid the family or not doesn't mean poo. 30 days...and ya...probation and having to use a driver...wow...he'll be so hard pressed having to hire someone to drive his Bentley for him!

because, this is something I have a lot of passion about. Anyone here knows I am not a confrontational person, and never argue about anything this long if ever....

the family is fine? So, if I killed a member of your family and followed it up with a nice fat check for you to cash...you are fine? Come on Mintal...even I know you don't believe that for a second.

It's all a bunch of bullpoo and whether he paid the family or not doesn't mean poo. 30 days...and ya...probation and having to use a driver...wow...he'll be so hard pressed having to hire someone to drive his Bentley for him!

You're right, we're never gonna agree about this. I think the permanent loss of my drivers license would be more than bad enough in itself, forget the jail time, community service and house arrest/probation, of course I don't have his bucks, but still, when you lose a personal freedom as important as that, it's more than just a big deal.

You've got something else in this fight that you're not revealing or you likely wouldn't be this adamant. You're not like this.

You're right, we're never gonna agree about this. I think the permanent loss of my drivers license would be more than bad enough in itself, forget the jail time, community service and house arrest/probation, of course I don't have his bucks, but still, when you lose a personal freedom as important as that, it's more than just a big deal.

You've got something else in this fight that you're not revealing or you likely wouldn't be this adamant. You're not like this.

you are right...I'm not...and for that reason...this will be my last post in this thread or on this subject, it's not worth it to me to alienate people or scar relationships I have spent the last 4 plus years building!!!

I have nothing else in this fight, not hiding anything or anything like that...I just have a great deal of passion about this topic is all. I am sure we've all been close to someone killed by a drunk driver, I know I have been far too many times. I've also arrived on scene in an ambulance and had to bag the bodies of victims of drunk drivers as well. Both of my brothers were charged with impaired driving at a young age. I put all those things together and it just baffles the poo out of me how anyone in today's day and age could still be so selfish to get behind the wheel of a car when they are drunk! So thats the one thing that pisses me off...and ya, we only typically hear about the celebrities or the local cases, but it happens every fricken day!

The second part that pisses me off is that because he was able to pay off the family, he receives a 30 day sentence? I know some of you think that 30 days is alot, and combined with the community service, loss of license and probation is enough for the crime that was committed. This is where I will never agree! A human life was taken, even if there was some fault from that individual. In my opinion, it is no accident when you are drunk behind the wheel and I have a hard time differentiating between drunk driving causing death and randomly firing a hand gun through a crowd. Even at the best of conditions, a vehicle is a dangerous thing and when you drive it while impaired, even more so, equal to that gun in the crowd.

So, those are my opinions! I never meant to ruffle any feathers, and in true Canadian fashion, I'll apologize to anyone that is or was offended by my posts, thoughts or opinions.

Hawk out!!!

Archived