• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stallworth gets 30 days for murder.

Kevin Greene

I wonder what the NFL's position willl be on his playing status.

Goddell needs to come down on him hard

my idea: indefinite suspension + mandate 500 additional hours of community service and add a stipulation that he must complete all his community service before applying for reinstatement

Once again...I think a lot more of those lawyers and judges can relate to having two glasses of wine at an after work dinner and then driving home than those judges and lawyers that can relate walking around with a 1/4 bag of weed in their pocket or stealing a pair of shoes from the local Kohl's department store.
Whomever has a 1/4 bag of weed should get no punishment at all,unless he was waving it in front of some school kids!

I am not saying one is worse than the other but the situations can't be compared at all. One was done with malicious intent (repeatedly over a long period of time) and one was not and lying to federal investigators throughout the investigation sure didn't help Mike's prison term length. I just think it is silly to try and compare the two because they are nothing alike.
Exactamundo!!

I'll be happy when the day comes that being drunk makes it automatic manslaughter! You don't accidentally drink and then drive!

exactly...and it's a bunch of bullpoo!

Manslaughter for 1st offense DUI is too harsh,what they have now for punishment is appropriate and it should be .10,not .08 as the limit!

sorry...but I totally disagree...there isn't a person on this planet that by now doesn't understand the dangers and repercussions of getting behind the wheel when they are drunk. And we are talking a multi millionaire who could afford the options!

Actually he could have been convicted at .06 even .05.

Like it or not, states will never do anything much to really stop drunk driving. It's too much of a cash cow, we're too car centric, and there are too many lawmakers (and law enforcers) that do it.

One thing that isn't being considered here is that this is not a black and white case. Sure, Stallworth should never have been behind the wheel (there is no justification for that), but, IIRC, the victim was running across the street to catch a bus or something. So, in a jury trial, there is a very real possibility that a good lawyer could have gotten Stallworth off by turning the focus on the man who died, arguing that he was running across a street with traffic, thereby causing the accident and putting himself in a position in which he could be hit by an oncoming car...in other words, shifting the blame.

In the legal system, you can never take anything for granted. After all, it's not unheard of in cases with a lot more damning evidence than this that the suspect gets acquitted because a lawyer was able to twist and turn the facts around making the jury question who really was at fault. So, I suspect that both the prosecutors and the victim's family felt it was better to take the plea (and money in the case of the family) rather than risk putting the case in the hands of a jury.

IMO, it's not that Stallworth is a football player that helped him get a relatively light sentence, but the fact that he has the money to hire the best lawyers.

Archived