• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jake In Progress

Montsta

Very good article. My thing with Jake is that he needs to learn (should've already) to throw the ball out of bounds if the play breaks down instead of forcing it, that's part of ball control. Jake is a competitor and he wants to get the most out of every possession but if its not there its not there.

Stats don't lie and I think it's time Jake received some of the respect and admiration he deserves. No he's not Tom Brady (who he almost outplayed in 2003 SB) but he may just make it into the HOF. If that ever happens he'll have 89 and 87 to thank for sure (YAC).

Very good article. My thing with Jake is that he needs to learn (should've already) to throw the ball out of bounds if the play breaks down instead of forcing it, that's part of ball control. Jake is a competitor and he wants to get the most out of every possession but if its not there its not there.

No doubt about that. I think Scherer may just beat that out of him, lol

Jake had 10 games last year where he didn't throw an interception.

As for Fumbles: He fumbled 5 times and lost it 3 times all season. He was sacked 20 times so he fumbled once for every 7 sacks.

Lets compare that to Kurt Warner for example who was sacked 26 times but fumbled 11 times and lost 7 of them.

How about a mobile quarterback like Flacco he was sacked 32 times, fumbled 11 and lost 2.

I don't see Jake as worse than anyone else.

Comittee for Accuracy in Whining

No disrespect intended with my response.

It is not always how many fumbles or how many interceptions, it is where they occur and the circumstance of the game itself. A 40 yard pass thrown from the 20 that is intercepted can be as good as a punt, no harm, no foul.

Fumbles/interceptions deep in his own territory or in the redzone, particularly the redzone just plain stupid. He's getting a little too good at those.

He needs to learn there is nothing wrong with throwing the ball away and if he hasn't gotten that at 34, he's never going to. He just does not seem to have that internal clock, 3 seconds, get rid of the damned ball.

Just as a punt isn't always a bad play, a field goal is a helluva lot better than an interception/fumble in the redzone.

I used to be all about Jake; but, the fact is, his primary job is to protect the football. He has been doing a piss-poor job of that in the past couple of seasons.

He tried his damndest to give away the Tampa Bay game as well...tmore than a few close calls in the Giants game...take a look at the first half ot those games. Its a growing trend. Luck only that he didn't have a multiple turn-over game there too.

Doesn't matter, he's Fox's boy and if 6 turnovers in a playoff game isn't enough for grooming someone for an upgrade, nothing ever will be.

Wouldn't you also say that pick sixes are worse than regular INTs? He hasn't had one of those since 2005.

I remember only one throw in the NYG game that was a luck thing (the pass to Moose). Either way, he averaged fewer than one turnover/game in 2008. Yes I know he didn't throw much and I agree he can improve some in this area, but it's not horrendous, merely average. Don't believe me? Look at all the NFL QBs' stats. A few guys people consider very good/great are over 1 turnover/game and around the same turnover/attempt, even for their career (Brees, Warner, Roeth, Cutler etc.). For Jake's starting career, he is at about 1.18/game. His turnovers /attempt are down over the past several years as well. He's about average with room to improve, not horrendous.

No disrespect intended with my response.

It is not always how many fumbles or how many interceptions, it is where they occur and the circumstance of the game itself. A 40 yard pass thrown from the 20 that is intercepted can be as good as a punt, no harm, no foul.

Fumbles/interceptions deep in his own territory or in the redzone, particularly the redzone just plain stupid. He's getting a little too good at those.

He needs to learn there is nothing wrong with throwing the ball away and if he hasn't gotten that at 34, he's never going to. He just does not seem to have that internal clock, 3 seconds, get rid of the damned ball.

Just as a punt isn't always a bad play, a field goal is a helluva lot better than an interception/fumble in the redzone.

I used to be all about Jake; but, the fact is, his primary job is to protect the football. He has been doing a piss-poor job of that in the past couple of seasons.

He tried his damndest to give away the Tampa Bay game as well...tmore than a few close calls in the Giants game...take a look at the first half ot those games. Its a growing trend. Luck only that he didn't have a multiple turn-over game there too.

Doesn't matter, he's Fox's boy and if 6 turnovers in a playoff game isn't enough for grooming someone for an upgrade, nothing ever will be.

You seem to be throwing everything up against the wall trying to get something to stick.

Your point was that Jake was terrible with turnovers and fumbles. The facts suggest otherwise.

Then you argue that the timing was bad and that he gave games away. How in the world did we finish 12-4 with all the games he threw away?

If I remember correctly weren't we up 21-13 at halftime against the Giants. Also Jake didn't throw a INT in that game and was 11 of 17 for 185 yards. How was that his problem at all. Are you really saying that we should blame him for close calls? Does that he mean he almost threw an interception????????? How crazy is that. When he doesn't throw an interception we now blame him for almost throwing one?????

Sure he had some bad games, we have beaten that to death. It is bad enough we have to hear about the playoff game debacle over and over, do we now have to discuss potential interceptions that were dropped. If we counted those for the Panthers we would have had 25 INTs last year instead of the 12 we actually caught.

You seem to be throwing everything up against the wall trying to get something to stick.

Your point was that Jake was terrible with turnovers and fumbles. The facts suggest otherwise.

Then you argue that the timing was bad and that he gave games away. How in the world did we finish 12-4 with all the games he threw away?

If I remember correctly weren't we up 21-13 at halftime against the Giants. Also Jake didn't throw a INT in that game and was 11 of 17 for 185 yards. How was that his problem at all. Are you really saying that we should blame him for close calls? Does that he mean he almost threw an interception????????? How crazy is that. When he doesn't throw an interception we now blame him for almost throwing one?????

Sure he had some bad games, we have beaten that to death. It is bad enough we have to hear about the playoff game debacle over and over, do we now have to discuss potential interceptions that were dropped. If we counted those for the Panthers we would have had 25 INTs last year instead of the 12 we actually caught.

2792357796_45b81668c6.jpg?v=0

Still can't believe this was written by John Clayton...

...and that it wasn't a Jake-bashing thread from the national media...

Must had been opposite day or something.

Anyway, finding a winning formula is quite elusive and Foxy (in his mind) has found one that (for the most part) has tried to follow (to varying degress of success) since he started coaching here. In fact, considering how we want to emulate the Steelers (who has consistently had the same winning formula for decades), it's not a certainty that the formula we have now will drastically change five or ten years down the road.

Archived