• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft Day Trades? Highly Unlikely.

chknwing

Trading away future picks was something Hurney learned from Bobby Beathard. Pretty sure we're done with that practice for good (thank God).

I wouldn't mind seeing us become one of those teams that likes to stockpile draft picks.

hurney learned from bobby, but he was more influenced by the version that traded up for ryan leaf rather than the one who built championship teams.

hurney was that gambler whose always running to loan sharks for money and losing because he's a sucky gambler with an addiction.

hurney learned from bobby, but he was more influenced by the version that traded up for ryan leaf rather than the one who built championship teams.

hurney was that gambler whose always running to loan sharks for money and losing because he's a sucky gambler with an addiction.

Darn good analogy. Hadn't thought of that one.

Yep, a good gambler can win big, but the problem with Hurney is that he was not a talent evaluator. So when he gambled with a trade up, he seemed to get blinded by the flash and didn't see the holes in the players' game.

If Star, Floyd, Patterson or a top 3 OT is not there, trading back with Minn or St.Louis and try to get an extra 2nd rounder makes most logically sense. This team needs more than 1-2 good players. Trading back 10-15 spots is not missing out on much talent in this draft. You make a case for the similar talent from the 6th pick to the 25th pick this year.

I thought Gettleman was a pro personal guy, not a draft day guru.

Even though he came from the Giants, I don't believe you can judge what NY did and assume that is what Gettleman will do.

Gettlemen is all powerful. He once flew to Hawaii without the use of an airplane.

Hurney was always a coaches GM IMO on draft day....he just approved what the room overall wanted.

2010 was his draft. His full retard draft era was Fox trying to win his way....with pretty much just the draft as a means to arm himself late here.

Yep, a good gambler can win big, but the problem with Hurney is that he was not a talent evaluator. So when he gambled with a trade up, he seemed to get blinded by the flash and didn't see the holes in the players' game.

yep. even clausen was a gamble and was very close to being a bigger one since he was actively looking for trade partners to move up and get him.

he selected clausen without visiting with the guy and without asking why it was that this guy who supposedly had talent to be a top 5-10 guy (according to quite a few draft "experts") was falling so far. i mean not even brady quinn fell that far. when so many teams, even those in desperate need of a QB, were passing on him not once, but twice....that in itself should have been a massive red flag. but hurney saw the flash and was only too eager to jump without checking out to see if there was anything of substance there.

5 draft picks, its not how many draft picks you have, its getting a quality player with them. Carolina seems to be doing much more scouting then in years past. The only way I see Getty making some crazy trades, is if the team is blowing off this coming season, firing Ron after the season, and will load up on pics in 2014 for the new regime Getty will put into place. I dont think thats the case. I just think hes going to play it safe this year.

5 draft picks, its not how many draft picks you have, its getting a quality player with them. Carolina seems to be doing much more scouting then in years past. The only way I see Getty making some crazy trades, is if the team is blowing off this coming season, firing Ron after the season, and will load up on pics in 2014 for the new regime Getty will put into place. I dont think thats the case. I just think hes going to play it safe this year.

i think most see him making just one trade....moving back a few spots to pick up a 3rd. not all that crazy of a trade. not a risky move. doesn't have to have any implications beyond just getting a 3rd round pick for this year.

Gettlemen is new. Trading may be something he hesitates to jump into. He has been upgrading this team in free agency with role players. I think he wants a few starters. If trading back creates more role players, I am not interested. If he can get a stud DT and DB out of this draft in rounds 1 and 2, then some OL talent later, I think I would be happy with it.

Not sure what Gettleman will do, but not all of Hurney's first round trades were bad. The trade up to get Gamble in 04 and the trade down in 07 when we drafted Beason and used one of the acquired picks to get Kalil both worked out. While I don't want Gettleman to give away picks, I hope he goes into the draft with a willingness to make a move if the situation calls for it.

Not sure what Gettleman will do, but not all of Hurney's first round trades were bad. The trade up to get Gamble in 04 and the trade down in 07 when we drafted Beason and used one of the acquired picks to get Kalil both worked out. While I don't want Gettleman to give away picks, I hope he goes into the draft with a willingness to make a move if the situation calls for it.

Holy crap Tom! Keep posting...rare "reality based" points which is awesome.

Traded back twice in that round if I am correct. We were projected to draft Reggie Nelson or Greg Olsen.

Archived