• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sheldon Richardson, is he even a good fit here?

CardiacCats

So in that Alabama video, he made some nice plays in the run game where he stopped the runner for a loss or a minimal gain but he also got pushed around a lot. However it seemed like Alabama may have been double teaming him at times. I like how he never quits on a play and he's really explosive. Pass rushing is definitely his strength.

might just be me, but even though richardson is great at rushing the passer, i think that williams is the better overall DT. better size. better run stopper. still athletic. still a good pass rusher. just more complete.

if we're going to go DT in the first and we aren't going to have star or floyd (whom i'm not completely sold on, btw) then i'd like williams. or hankins in the second if he's still there (which he won't be by our pick).

might just be me, but even though richardson is great at rushing the passer, i think that williams is the better overall DT. better size. better run stopper. still athletic. still a good pass rusher. just more complete.

if we're going to go DT in the first and we aren't going to have star or floyd (whom i'm not completely sold on, btw) then i'd like williams. or hankins in the second if he's still there (which he won't be by our pick).

Agreed.

I think many here are overstating Richardson's struggles against the run. While it's not his strength, he is actually not bad at it. The problem is that his pad level occasionally rises after contact, causing him to get pushed out of the play. But that's a technical aspect that can and should be corrected with coaching. However, when he maintains good pad level, he holds up very well against the run. He also can do to add some strength, which should also happen once he gets into an NFL weight program.

He's also extremely quick, relentless in pursuit, and has great instincts and play recognition. He's not a perfect prospect, but he is most definitely worthy of the 14th pick and would be an excellent long-term fit for this team. No, he's not that big run stuffer that many want (and we obviously need), but unless Star falls, there is not a run stuffer that is worthy of being picked that high. And none of them are likely to have the future impact Richardson would.

I would like to add that if we do take Richardson, our pass rush would be one of the best in the NFL. Not only would we have a stout D-line, our secondary would improve greatly.

I am skeptical of Richardson as well, but if we did pull the trigger on him, i would be excited about the potential pass rush we could generate.

I would also be optimistic that we could find a decent run stuffer in FA.

Wouldnt be crazy to argue that we could have the best 4-3 pass rush in the NFL.

I would like to add that if we do take Richardson, our pass rush would be one of the best in the NFL. Not only would we have a stout D-line, our secondary would improve greatly.

I am skeptical of Richardson as well, but if we did pull the trigger on him, i would be excited about the potential pass rush we could generate.

I would also be optimistic that we could find a decent run stuffer in FA.

Wouldnt be crazy to argue that we could have the best 4-3 pass rush in the NFL.

yeah, i agree that pass rush would be great and the idea of it can get me a bit giddy, but i have to reign things back in when i realize that what we need is balance and more help on the run D. if we can get a guy to add serious help against the run and still be a huge help against the pass, that's what i want.

I would be ok with Richardson. We could replace dwan with that big NT next year. Again i feel like we could get a rental NT this year in FA whom would be servicable.

I didnt like Richarson at first, but once i thought of the potential pass rush i become more accepting of it.

I remember some one say the Richardaon has the frame to grow bigger and stronger. He has technique issues but the dude makes plays.

Too many people here are acting like athletic defensive tackles are common. We went without one until last year, when we signed a stopgap. Getting a rare commodity for the long-term is an opportunity.

I love how when we talk about individual positions, there's a flood of "BPA!" When we talk about individual prospects, though, it's about whether a guy can get playing time right now. Let's talk a little bit about Dwan Edwards. He's a 32 year-old stopgap who we only signed after he got cut by his team. He produced well, but his six sacks were totally anomalous; he's had less than that in the rest of his career combined. His only other contract offer came from a Miami team that wanted depth. Not a starter. Depth.

Richardson is one of the better prospects in the draft. The bust rate is high for his position, and this whole conversation is dependent upon him interviewing well, but he's a rare and important talent. A defensive tackle that can get into the backfield is growing more and more crucial. He does it well. I wouldn't mind it.

Too many people here are acting like athletic defensive tackles are common. We went without one until last year, when we signed a stopgap. Getting a rare commodity for the long-term is an opportunity.

I love how when we talk about individual positions, there's a flood of "BPA!" When we talk about individual prospects, though, it's about whether a guy can get playing time right now. Let's talk a little bit about Dwan Edwards. He's a 32 year-old stopgap who we only signed after he got cut by his team. He produced well, but his six sacks were totally anomalous; he's had less than that in the rest of his career combined. His only other contract offer came from a Miami team that wanted depth. Not a starter. Depth.

Richardson is one of the better prospects in the draft. The bust rate is high for his position, and this whole conversation is dependent upon him interviewing well, but he's a rare and important talent. A defensive tackle that can get into the backfield is growing more and more crucial. He does it well. I wouldn't mind it.

Good post.

Archived