• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sheldon Richardson, is he even a good fit here?

CardiacCats

Some of the better run stop teams last season like: Bucs, Rams, Seattle were teams who played with "two UTs". just a FYI

neither dwan or richardson are solid against the run.

i'm pretty sure that if you've gonna be starting two UTs, that at least one of them has to be solid against the run.

if we draft richardson, the only time he and dwan will be on the field at the same time are obvious passing downs. dwan has already proven to be effective in his role so he won't be taking a back seat to another UT...esp. a rookie.

Yeah Ive always wonderd because we already have a 3 tech. Maybe for the future? Dwan is old, so if we draft Richardson we'd have decent pass rush from the inside for at least a few years.

If we take Sheldon, it'll be bc Getlleman and Rivera likes him. Not, having a replacement for Dwan, or else we wouldve let Dwan walk in FA and signed a vet NT.

Sheldon Richardson is my 3rd favorite DT behind Star and Floyd, and my 2nd favorite player behind Tavon at no.14.

He is definetley worth the pick. People dislike him there bc he's another under-tackle. I dont care. Why?

(1) Sheldon is a pure pass rusher in the interior

(2) He's solid at the point of attack; wont get push around like a Fua.

(3) The most important thing is, his ability to demand teams to double team him.

I don't agree at all. He does not need to be double teamed consistently. He was handled by Alabama and he rarely even matched up against Warmack. He is a pure pass rusher that would be better served to play 5 tech in a 3-4. I could see the Saints snagging him to be honest.

neither dwan or richardson are solid against the run.

i'm pretty sure that if you've gonna be starting two UTs, that at least one of them has to be solid against the run.

if we draft richardson, the only time he and dwan will be on the field at the same time are obvious passing downs. dwan has already proven to be effective in his role so he won't be taking a back seat to another UT...esp. a rookie.

Sheldon's ability to demand double team is just as good as having a run stuffer. Kuechly now has the ability to stop the run at free will.

people main problem with richardson is confusing him with something he's not. he's not a run stuffer but he will disrupt the run with his elite first step which is to fast for centers and guards. this will cause the running back to have to make a move early in the backfield which is just as effective as stuffing the run. he will be an elite inside pass rusher which will force teams to double team him since he will be coming straight at the qb causing more sack oppurtunites for cj and hardy

I don't agree at all. He does not need to be double teamed consistently. He was handled by Alabama and he rarely even matched up against Warmack. He is a pure pass rusher that would be better served to play 5 tech in a 3-4. I could see the Saints snagging him to be honest.

handled by alabama. he had 15 tackles against them

Sheldon's ability to demand double team is just as good as having a run stuffer. Kuechly now has the ability to stop the run at free will.

Good point. Not to mention his constant penetration makes RB be thinking instead of just running thru holes. Giving Kuechly the advantage of making TFL's.

I would rather take Jesse Williams at 14 then Sheldon Richardson honestly. He's the big run-stuffer we need, even though he doesn't offer much as a pass rusher

I agree jessie Williams or Star is more what we need but at 14 we may have reached for him.Maybe we have him graded higher than the mocks.

Watch the game highlights man. He was being shoved around like a rag doll. People ragged on Kuechly for making most of his tackles down the field, but it's worse when a DT is doing it.

The fact he was able to do it is a plus. I've watch the tape to and they rarely ran at him. He chase plays down that ran away from him.

Archived