• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kawann Short

Toundra

I dont just watch the highlights tapes. He impresses me in pretty much all the vids i see. People are oveblowing this effort thing imo.

He has almost 3 times the amount of TFL and sacks as Flyod.

Which game / vid you watch were he didnt do well?

i've seen several.

looked at one just now that i kind of randomly selected not knowing any stats or anything and what i saw was 3 pretty big plays (would have been 4 where he made what would have been a tackle for loss, except he tackled the wrong guy...still impressive, tho). but for the most part it was pretty blah.

here's the one i watched...

i don't think it would take long to find more that showed the same thing.

to a small degree he reminds me of peppers who had a couple huge plays every game, but for most of the time he just wasn't all that spectacular. what i saw in short was a guy who could take advantage of holes that showed up (which happens in every game) and being able to completely capitalize on them (which should happen), but he doesn't seem like the guy that is constantly disrupting the pocket or stressing the QB. just occassionally. when he does, it's impressive. it just doesn't happen often enough.

he is an UT, we have alot more pressing needs than a UT.

We run a 4-3.

The emphasis you guys put on a "UT" and "NT" is simply astounding.

Very few 4-3 teams have a true 1 tech. I'm pretty sure that a 4-3 in its purest, most original form doesn't have one at all.

i've seen several.

looked at one just now that i kind of randomly selected not knowing any stats or anything and what i saw was 3 pretty big plays (would have been 4 where he made what would have been a tackle for loss, except he tackled the wrong guy...still impressive, tho). but for the most part it was pretty blah.

to a small degree he reminds me of peppers who had a couple huge plays every game, but for most of the time he just wasn't all that spectacular. what i saw in short was a guy who could take advantage of holes that showed up (which happens in every game) and being able to completely capitalize on them (which should happen), but he doesn't seem like the guy that is constantly disrupting the pocket or stressing the QB. just occassionally. when he does, it's impressive. it just doesn't happen often enough.

Tackles For Loss and Sacks are the most important stats for a DLmen

Short is easily the best at getting TFL and sacks.

If I remember correctly he has about 3 TIMES the number of TFL and sacks as Flyod.

I just watched a few seconds of that vid and one play he drives the OG all the back into the QB like the G was on roller skates.

Like I said, ppl are gonna wish they didnt pass on this guy.

Dwan graded out negative as a pass rusher and was even worse in run defense. 6 Sacks does not represent who he was as a player.

incidentally, i think the same could be said for short's stats and that's the problem most are having with him. they just aren't sure who they're going to get. that's why he's going to fall into the 2nd or 3rd round and i don't think teams that pass up on him are going to be all that bothered by it.

When Short is blowing up plays in the backfield (TFL) and sacking the QB regularly in the NFL (like he has done on elite status the last 2 years in the NCAA) ppl will regret passing on him.

yes, for those big 3-5 plays a game out of 60-70 per game, they will regret it. i think they'll make out ok for the 50 or so he's just kind of there.

Then Floyd with all of his hustle will only manage 1-3 sacks and maybe 8 tackles for loss.

The UT's job is to get pressure and penetrate the gaps. No one does that better than Short.

its the DLs job to get CONSISTENT pressure...there are better. that's the earned and deserved knock against him. he's inconsistent. that's why there are more than likely going to be several DTs taken ahead of him and why he'll probably fall into the second or even third round....and teams won't think twice about passing him by.

i've seen several.

Personally i find Short very impressive on this video.

And after your link you are completely wrong.

Imho this kid is smart.

With Hardy, CJ, Dwan and Short our front 4 would be scary again.

I only watched like 1 minutes of that vid and was very impressed. I think ppl hear something and roll with it. Very first play he gets double teamed and still comes back and makes the tackle on the rb going the opposite direction. lol 2nd play he beats the OG to the outside and rides him all the way back into the QB. Third play he gets double teamed and sheds both linemen and makes the tackle in the backfield. 5th play pushes the OG all the way back into the QB. Just complete domination on the line you can see in the first 2 series on defense.

All this talk about Short and his effort or him going MIA is way overblown.

Dude is causing havoc on the OL every vid ive seen of him.

I pray we land him somehow. Will be a stud UT for years to come.

you watch what you want to watch and see what you want to see just so you don't have to actually notice anything that challenges your preconception.

there's a reason why he's slipped as he has and it isn't just people jumping on what they've heard. he's inconsistent in his effort throughout games compared to others at the top of his position. he's got tons of ability, but it's not seen consistently enough. people just don't see enough consistency throughout each game to know that aside from a couple big stat fluffing plays a game if he's going to put enough constant pressure on the backfield to help the defense stop the offense from moving down the field and into the endzone.

i can't make you see what you don't want to see that everyone else watching sees....he's not consistent and the question is why and what can be done to help him be consistent.

he's capable of doing some great highlight reel looking things, which he does. he's just not that guy that is going to wear out offenses. others around him do the work all game and then he takes advantage of small and infrequent windows of opportunities OLs give him. thats the long and short of short.

agree with it or not, but that's why he's sliding. he's a buyers beware type player.

Archived