• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Josh Freeman on the Hot Seat?

chknwing

so says Ronde Barber.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000153510/article/josh-freeman-is-playing-for-his-job-ronde-barber-says

"I think Coach (Greg Schiano) wants to find out if Josh is the guy because Josh shows moments of complete brilliance," Barber said. "Yet he gives you the moments where you're scratching your head as well. It's kind of reflective of our season and as a whole last year.

"Coach Schiano did not draft him, even though (general manager) Mark (Dominik)'s married to him because he was with him when (former Bucs coach) Raheem (Morris) drafted him. But you have to believe that Josh Freeman is our franchise quarterback. He fits the build. He has the arm. He understands the mechanics of the game. Like I said, when he's good, he's really, really good. We just need him to be that player with more consistency."

Will Freeman play for his job next season?

"I would imagine so," Barber replied. "That's just the nature of football. (When) you have a new coach, which we had last year, you're proving yourself to him, and Josh has to do that."

i brought this up last year when schiano was hired. new coaches want their own guy at QB unless that QB is lighting it up. that's not freeman. also, when you look at the old school traditional style of football where the focus is on "run the ball, stop the run" it won't take much effort to figure out that what he prefers is some old school, non-dual threat, non-spread offense, non-risk taking, ball protecting game manager who's main job is to take the ball from under center (none of that fancy falootin shotgun/pistol stuff), hand the ball off two downs, throw it on third, and let special teams guys handle it on fourth.

not that freeman is a serious dual threat, but he's not your traditional QB. in fact i wouldn't be a bit surprised to see schiano replace freeman with an older vet game manager picked up in FA.

this is the last year of freeman's contract and I'd be more shocked if he re-signed with the bucs than he was replaced.

btw, i don't see schiano staying the duration of his contract either. he'll get fired before that ever happens.

I expect Josh to have another monster year like he had in 2010. Our division is a division full of really good QB's...Gonna be some great QB play in the NFC South this upcoming season.

that won't happen with schiano as HC. freeman won't throw enough to have a monster year. it's going to be kept on the ground as much as possible.

Guest BlueBoyRamses_E1b1a

Schiano is a rookie coach himself. Sounds like he is looking for a fall guy early and quick to buy himself an extra year. An extra year income in NFL, can put some change in a guy's pocket. Lol! Make this money Schi...And take the ship down with you.

Ok, I am in the joking mood.

i think its crazy how these coaches and gm's are so ready to get rid of a above average QB. they act like they have an elite one waiting in the shadows. #stupid

well, they kind of do...in the daft.

college is cranking them out lately.

of course i don't think that's where schiano gets his. he seems to be a whole lot like john fox pre-elway controlled team.

Schiano and the GM said as much..he was on NFL AM and said "No... QB is not out of the question."..when asked about the draft..but smokescreen..

which sorry is insane.

Freeman needs to get a guy to get him and keep him in rhythm. He has all the tools and smarts for the game..but he gets "the Delhommes" at times where a run heavy scheme affects the ability when a pass play needs to be played.

Archived