• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Osi Umenyiora to Atlanta? <yep>

TruCatzFan

Someone pull out the highlights of the absolute beating Matty Ryan took at the hands of CJ and Hardy.

you know i tried to find that and i wasn't able to find a video. a panthers pass rush vs. falcons highlight video would be awesome.

anyway, i'll be the first to admit that osi bookending abraham would have been a respectable if aging combination. osi is going to have kroy biermann opposite him now so he's going to have to beat a double team on every snap. alternately if you watch the video of the sack you can see justin tuck clearly drawing the double team which frees up osi to slip past gross.

the problem here is that the falcons aren't able to make a play for a blue chip pass rusher who could start at a high level immediately. so now, faced with the fact that they have zero depth at DE, they had to bring in a guy who would do the most damage as a situational pass rusher at this stage in his career and force him to be a three down DE. they might seriously have the fewest sacks in the league next season.

Osi had an amazing 6 sacks last year...

it seems like he put up weak numbers but he was mostly a rotational guy last season and split time with tuck and pierre-paul. he would have been a really great signing if the falcons had a strong rotation established but the issue is that they're going to be asking a lot more of him than that.

I was reading the Giants blogs after the Chase signing, and many posters said they were sadder to see Chase leave than Osi. One guy said, "Atlanta just threw in the towel on run defense...", referring to Osi's one dimensional play.

Archived