• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

One Year Deals

chknwing

Gettleman said in an interview right after he took the panthers job that he prefers one year deals for free agents. This way you don't overpay and get to see how a player works. Plus, and Gettleman didn't say this but we all know players work the hardest in contract years.

the host on Sirius NFL Blitz said several factors have made the 1 yr contract the norm. As a result of the lockout the next 2 years will see an unusual number of young, cheap highly talented number of players enter FAgency. Plus the cap is forecast to be extremely flat. Teams that are spending bucket loads on large long contracts this year are going to be screwed in 2014 and 2015 when the 1st and 2nd set of the 2011 salary capped rookies come available.

You can bet most teams, ours included, will be almost unrecognizable come the 2015 for all the player movement. For us, In 2015, don't be surprised if the only players on our current roster are from the 2012 draft class on.

Yes, I'm saying Cam could be bye bye by then. I hate it too but it could happen because of the current trend.

Yes, I'm saying Cam could be bye bye by then. I hate it too but it could happen because of the current trend.

No fuging way Cam leaves. I actually think Cam would pull an Eli or Brady and take a pay cut or structure his deal so that it isn't such a burden to the team. The guy wants to win more than anything. Remember when we signed him to his Rookie deal. He signed immediately saying this was more money than he could possibly imagine to play the game he loves the most.

I'm being serious, I see Cam helping us out when his extension/new contract comes to fruition.

1-year deals to keep us competitive while he fixes the cap.

That's definitely part of it. There's a more optimistic rationale under the surface, though.

If you manage to get a combo of one year players, draft picks and returning guys that actually manages to win enough games that people start thinking "we might be on the verge of something here" then you can create an atmosphere where the one year guys say "why not one more year?"

At the same time, next years free agents see a team on the rise and think "add me to that mix and we're going somewhere". Your own free agents think "why leave when things are just getting good with this team?" And to all that, throw in that having needs filled allows you the freedom to draft guys that can make the team even better rather than scrambling to fill needs.

But what if the one year guys don't come back? No big deal. Their departure does no damage to your cap and so you're free to sign other one year guys the next season.

As contradictory as it may sound, these one year deals actually help us build for the future.

It's all about building a winner, one step at a time.

who have we signed that has done enough in the league to deserve more?

Mitchell backup safety in Oakland

Ginn a kr/pr and like the 4th or 5th receiving option last year in SF

DJ Moore, a nickel back that slid down to a dime back midway thru last season

Florence an old vet who has bounced around the league and is not considered a 1 or 2 option on any competent team

the host on Sirius NFL Blitz said several factors have made the 1 yr contract the norm. As a result of the lockout the next 2 years will see an unusual number of young, cheap highly talented number of players enter FAgency. Plus the cap is forecast to be extremely flat. Teams that are spending bucket loads on large long contracts this year are going to be screwed in 2014 and 2015 when the 1st and 2nd set of the 2011 salary capped rookies come available.

You can bet most teams, ours included, will be almost unrecognizable come the 2015 for all the player movement. For us, In 2015, don't be surprised if the only players on our current roster are from the 2012 draft class on.

Misuse the cap and she will bite your azz. Use her properly, and she will aid your growth.

By the time Cam is ready to extend, Gettlemen will have us out from under all this Hurney magic. We should have plenty of money to sign both Hardy, if he is reasonable. and Cam.

Sure we are cash scrapped at he moment. However, next year most of these big contracts become voidable. We could save upwards of 10M cutting Beast, Gross, and DWill next year. We can replace them all with half of that.

The upside to one year deals is it allows you the flexibility to pick and choose who you pay, and how much you pay. The salary cap is a tool that if used wisely, helps you tremendously.

Gettlemen knows talent. He knows what that talent is worth. The cap means nothing to him. Precisely because he knows a players true value, and will not over pay.

The salary is doing exactly what it was designed to do. So it will come down to how well your GM is at playing the game. IMO, we have a GM that knows the game as well as anyone. We should be in good shape going forward.

Just a thought. And GOOOOO CATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's definitely part of it. There's a more optimistic rationale under the surface, though.

If you manage to get a combo of one year players, draft picks and returning guys that actually manages to win enough games that people start thinking "we might be on the verge of something here" then you can create an atmosphere where the one year guys say "why not one more year?"

At the same time, next years free agents see a team on the rise and think "add me to that mix and we're going somewhere". Your own free agents think "why leave when things are just getting good with this team?" And to all that, throw in that having needs filled allows you the freedom to draft guys that can make the team even better rather than scrambling to fill needs.

But what if the one year guys don't come back? No big deal. Their departure does no damage to your cap and so you're free to sign other one year guys the next season.

As contradictory as it may sound, these one year deals actually help us build for the future.

It's all about building a winner, one step at a time.

Exactly how it is supposed to work. Folks saying wait til the 9ers have to pay all these big FA have not learned the way of the new NFL.

It is those cheap 15 draft picks that will carry them through. By the time these big contracts can be voided, you have his replacement ready and willing to go. Adds leverage for the team as the player knows he can be replaced. You can offer him a fair deal and let the chips fall.

The salary cap. Coupled with the rookie cap. Have given smart teams the resources to compete. Once the last of these big rookies deals ends. Smart teams should be in full "next man up" mode.

The most important guys in the NFL now... College Scouting and Evaluating guys. Teams have to trust these guys. The draft is just that important. You need to add talented and athletic players every year.

You only get a guy for his first four years. Once that contract is up. You have to decide what to do with him. Is he worth keeping? Can we keep him? Should we keep him? Can we replace him?

I just happen to believe that Gettlemen is the perfect guy for us. He can tell the player what he is worth, and the player knows where he stands.

The best part? Gettlemen doesn't have to start from scratch. We already have a pretty good team. If he can upgrade just a little, we are going to be better. And that thought makes my giddy just a little bit happier.

Archived