• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2008: We got an F+

davos

Not saying I agree with this, but even if statistics applied to an entire group are higher, that doesn't mean anything. People should be judged on individual merit and skills, not pigeonholed by gross generalizations. I've seen plenty of extremely athletic white players that are not viewed as such because people want to cling to racial stereotypes. This is a major problem in sports today. That website isn't helping matters though. Being racially biased to one side doesn't stop prejudice on the other end. I would like to see equality in sports, where the best player is treated as such, regardless of their skin color. I don't see this happening while coaches/scouts/media/ect still look at things with a "blacks are more athletic" mentality.

I don’t understand your argument? Some people are better STATISICLY at things than other.

In sports white guys don’t have the same success rate as black guys.

Stats don’t lie; there is nothing racist about stating the truth.

I don’t understand your argument? Some people are better STATISICLY at things than other.

In sports white guys don’t have the same success rate as black guys.

Stats don’t lie; there is nothing racist about stating the truth.

Yes ,stats don't lie. You can do tests for every type of skill, and one race will come out ahead everytime, even if it's by a small margin. This still doesn't mean it's a good idea to perpetuate these racial stereotypes.

There's always problems that come about when you group large amounts of individuals together and slap generalizations and stereotypes on them. An individual should be judged on their own merit, skills and accomplishments, not grouped and judged according to the average skills or past accomplishments of their entire race.

There was once a widely held stereotype that whites were smarter than blacks. One that said women were too emotional and thus couldn't be trusted to make important decisions. Because people bought into these stereotypes, blacks and women weren't allowed to vote. This went on for decades, mostly unchallenged. Many of the people that were unfairly treated due to these stereotypes accepted and even agreed with them. It wasn't until society as a whole challenged these stereotypes that progress was made.

I've seen too many white kids overlooked, ignored, discouraged and told they aren't athletic enough, even when that's obviously not the case. I would hope someone in your position of coaching football would be fair and unbiased but that is very difficult when you buy into racial stereotypes.

There is a BIG difference between OPPRESSION and what we are talking about.

Whats wrong with me as a white guy saying GENERALLY black guys are better at sports than white guys because of their GENETIC makeup.

I see past the color and dont have a problem complimenting a group of people because they excell

I've seen too many white kids overlooked, ignored, discouraged and told they aren't athletic enough, even when that's obviously not the case. I would hope someone in your position of coaching football would be fair and unbiased but that is very difficult when you buy into racial stereotypes.

^^^^^^^^

Thats more of a problem with a persons own self when they are in a role to play the best players available. Its not the fault of anyone other than the coach.

Just because I notice a TREND doesnt mean that I am not fair in my assessment as a coach when fielding my players.

Players play, regardless of color, thats the way it should be.

Whats wrong with me as a white guy saying GENERALLY black guys are better at sports than white guys because of their GENETIC makeup.

what's wrong with it? hm, the fact that you have no idea what their genetic make-up is and are talking out of your ass?

or are you a scientist as well as a stock guru?

You can bring up all the statistics and studies you want to support your side, but it doesn't change the fact that racial stereotypes always have a negative effect.

When you take a young kid, and from day one, you teach him that he's not athletic, that he doesn't have a real chance to make it in sports, what do you think is going to happen? Do you really think he is going to push himself and put in time necessary to make it? Just the same way I've seen people bring up test results and say that blacks don't perform as well in school. I've seen young kids buy into this stereotype. Do you think they study hard when in the back of their mind they think it won't make a difference? Of course not. Nobody pushes themselves to excel when they believe they have no chance.

Players play, regardless of color, thats the way it should be.

I agree the best players should play, however this is not always the case. The player that gets the most opportunities is the one that the coach thinks is the best. Coaches are human. They make mistakes like everyone else, and often times racial bias and stereotypes play a part in the decision.

So a bunch of white dudes are pissed because another white guy said black guys are generally better in sports...

aND I'm the asshole...

Ok..

I dont understand the whole

"When you take a young kid, and from day one, you teach him that he's not athletic, that he doesn't have a real chance to make it in sports, what do you think is going to happen? Do you really think he is going to push himself and put in time necessary to make it?"

Cause no one in this thread has brought this up other than you, so I am sorry if in your childhood you were held back because some dumbass coach.

Its not me.

you see the ***** has been bred to excel athletically; it's what they've earned in exchange for the intellect.

this is obvious. it's just observable. for example, how many negros do you see successful compared to their white counterparts? trends. Trends.

Archived