• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone out there still upset we gave up next years 1st?

thefuzz

and ...... the ONLY reason I say Stewart is BECAUSE he is not as emotionally tied to the fanbase, and the FO has to make sure folks are buying Jerseys because that brings in the $$$$$$$$$$$$

Yes AK those are the number one concerns Marty Hurney and John Fox take into account when contemplating trading a player: Jersey sales and the attachment of the fanbase to that player. I think you have a job waiting for you as the Detroit Lions' GM.

Even though everyone pretty much already knows, why don't you go ahead and say the real reason you think we would trade Stewart, even though he's four years younger than Williams, has less wear on him, and we could get more for Williams AT THIS TIME? You're in love with him, and I say this in the most literal terms possible.

Yes AK those are the number one concerns Marty Hurney and John Fox take into account when contemplating trading a player: Jersey sales and the attachment of the fanbase to that player. I think you have a job waiting for you as the Detroit Lions' GM.

Even though everyone pretty much already knows, why don't you go ahead and say the real reason you think we would trade Stewart, even though he's four years younger than Williams, has less wear on him, and we could get more for Williams AT THIS TIME? You're in love with him, and I say this in the most literal terms possible.

Thats your opinion, and we can agree to disagree.

Thats what great about America.

Maybe you missed the part were I said WILLIAMS COULD be gone as well. This thread is about a NUMBER 1 PICK and to get that back that scenario is not out of reach.

also- small market teams like Carolina have to worry about revenue such as Jersey sales and other merchandise. These things are a big part of the CBA that is being re-written right now.

Why do you think Carolina gets more love than the Lions and Browns who have been around before you were born.

MARKETABILITY.

The trend in the NFL is to avoid high 1st round picks because of their bust potential compared to their salary. 1st round picks are overrated. E Brown was being talked about as #1 overall just 6 months ago. He's an elite talent and be happy we have him.

Maybe you missed the part were I said WILLIAMS COULD be gone as well. This thread is about a NUMBER 1 PICK and to get that back that scenario is not out of reach.

I know you like Williams, but if it were me in the FO, Williams would be gone for a first if he has another break out year. But only if Stewart seems like he will be able to stay in one piece.

As of now, I am a little worried about Stewart, and his ankle, toe, etc.

I really really doubt someone would give us a first round pick for Stewart right now. Unless you think Williams could have gotten a first round pick after 2007. Because outside of touchdowns, Williams in 2007 and Stewart in 2008 are comparable. Don't let our outstanding rush attack last year skew the fact that Stewart is still a backup. And even if we COULD get a first round pick for Stewart, that means we could likely get a higher pick in the first round for Williams. And as I've already mentioned, given his being older, it makes more sense all around to trade Williams. If we had to make that choice, I would be shocked if Stewart were sent packing.

also- small market teams like Carolina have to worry about revenue such as Jersey sales and other merchandise. These things are a big part of the CBA that is being re-written right now.

Why do you think Carolina gets more love than the Lions and Browns who have been around before you were born.

MARKETABILITY.

Ya know, if Williams walked right off the face of the Earth and fell into a black hole and Stewart became the starter and rushed for 1700 yards and 24 touchdowns next season, his jersey sales would go through the fuging roof as well. Whoops, there goes that argument!

No he doesn't.

Really? I don't remember DeAngelo Williams taking many first team reps in his rookie OTA's. Plus, in case you haven't noticed, there is an entirely new defensive coaching staff this year and, from all indications, Fox is letting them run practice as they see fit. So, in reality, we have no idea what the defensive depth chart means right now. They may already be planning to start Brown on opening day, for all we know.

Really? I don't remember DeAngelo Williams taking many first team reps in his rookie OTA's. Plus, in case you haven't noticed, there is an entirely new defensive coaching staff this year and, from all indications, Fox is letting them run practice as they see fit. So, in reality, we have no idea what the defensive depth chart means right now. They may already be planning to start Brown on opening day, for all we know.

Congratulations you found a player Fox had practicing with the second string during minicamps and OTAs his rookie year. He also rode the bench his first two seasons, so that's not exactly a ringing endorsement for "OTAs don't matter" considering he stayed with the second team.

On the other hand, you have guys like Peppers, Gross, Otah, Godfrey, and I THINK Beason, who played with the starters from day one and continued doing so pretty much right on through the offseason and started on opening day. The only player that comes to mind who is a combo breaker in my argument is Chris Gamble. He was behind Artrell Hawkins, but by the end of training camp had taken his spot. So obviously Brown CAN work his way into the starting lineup. I just don't see it happening this season.

I think AK's statements are valid.

Its very hard not to like Deangleo..he has personality and this past year, production.

I like Stewart as well.

Frankly though, his rumored foot problems, toe previously, and rumored ankle this year, are a little concerning.

Mechanically, they are probably connected.

We drafted a running back in the first round that we knew had toe issues when there were other healthy backs available.

Tim Biakatuka was a great running back when he was healthy...problem was, he was not healthy very often.

The same with Otah, ankle injuries. Otah missed more in one season than Gross has in his entire career.

Both of these men are first round picks. If they continue to miss games this year, its a concern.

We need them, so, I hope they heal up during this offseason as carrying Peppers huge contract, and we can agree to disagree whether he's worth it. I think he's not, apparently other teams didn't think he was either; but, the point is moot, he's here.

Injuries are a part of life in the NFL...can happen in an instant. I just have to wonder why of all the RBs available, we have to draft one so high that had that injury. RBs have a short life span as it is. Same with Otah. They could have moved up, gotten the best RT available and then got another RB; but, what's done is done.

Oh God not the Timmy B comparisons already. Stewart already has more yards in a season and more touchdowns in a season than Biakabanotgonnaeventry EVER HAD HIS ENTIRE CAREER. He also played in all 16 games last year, something else Tsignegrhwemaga never did. And so far none of his injuries have been even slightly serious.

Archived