• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone out there still upset we gave up next years 1st?

thefuzz

Fox generally works rookies with second team in OTA's even if they would normally be pegged as opening day starters unless there is a giant hole in that position to start with. I expect we'll see a lot more of him with first team come TC.

He's the same basic size as Dwight Freeney, he's the same size as Strahan was, he's bigger than Robert Mathis, and a lot of other elite DE's. I think we need to put aside this notion that being lighter as a DE is necessarily bad, as long as he can manage some production that's all that matters. You also have to remember he was predicted to go in the top 10 this year.

Brown is not the same size that Strahan was, or is. Strahan is 6-5 or so, and IIRC Brown is about 6-2.

I don't mind a 1st rounder not playing, it's giving up the chance to draft a top 32 talent the following year that bothers me. Just wondering if anyone else thinks the same way.

Saying that, we did get a "top 20" ranked player for a 40 something player salary, so that is one good way to look at it.

Fox generally works rookies with second team in OTA's even if they would normally be pegged as opening day starters unless there is a giant hole in that position to start with. I expect we'll see a lot more of him with first team come TC.

He's the same basic size as Dwight Freeney, he's the same size as Strahan was, he's bigger than Robert Mathis, and a lot of other elite DE's. I think we need to put aside this notion that being lighter as a DE is necessarily bad, as long as he can manage some production that's all that matters. You also have to remember he was predicted to go in the top 10 this year.

freeney is 6'1 268 and brown is 6'1 256...thats not the same basic size.height yes..but weight no

no big deal. next year we can trade 2011's first rounder to get who we want. hurney can make things happen on draft day.

:D

Basically, I say get the real "ballers" while the gettin' is good.

Yeah, in theory, we might have to pay the piper eventually, but our team will be so stocked full of talent, that missing a first for a year will be like missing the cherry and nuts on top of our banana split.

We have a loaded team at every key position if Pep comes back. I see the move as a confidence play on the part of our FO that we can continue to bring back the same core players. It makes the draft a little less exciting but if Brown comes off the bench to register 7 or 8 sacks this year (very realistic) then the trade would be well worth it. I can't think of one position that we have a question mark at that a first round draft pick would help us with...

I think that this FO/Coaching staff is willing to live and die with Delhomme and once his career is over...their careers with the Panther very well might be over as well. QB is the only position I would want to look at for next year (just like every year for the past 3 seasons) and it doesn't look like the FO wants to do that so I have no problem with trading the first...

We have a loaded team at every key position if Pep comes back. I see the move as a confidence play on the part of our FO that we can continue to bring back the same core players. It makes the draft a little less exciting but if Brown comes off the bench to register 7 or 8 sacks this year (very realistic) then the trade would be well worth it. I can't think of one position that we have a question mark at that a first round draft pick would help us with...

I think that this FO/Coaching staff is willing to live and die with Delhomme and once his career is over...their careers with the Panther very well might be over as well. QB is the only position I would want to look at for next year (just like every year for the past 3 seasons) and it doesn't look like the FO wants to do that so I have no problem with trading the first...

backup Oline, DT,WR(we are not loaded at every key postition)most but not all

I trust that coach fox & hurney know what they doing cause after all they did it with drafting otah and everything worked out fine.

You gave up a 1st rounder to have one of the best backfields and run blocking OTs in the game.

Stewart had nothing to do with trading our first rounder in 2009. Only Otah.

I have said before that it worked out to our advantage, and we are better off for it. But it is a gamble, and at some point, it will not pan out.

I hope that we just aren't making a habit of trading away future draft picks.

Teams usually do that when they think they are one or two players away from being a SB caliber team. Next thing you know you are the Bucs/Raiders/Seahawks...etc.

Stewart had nothing to do with trading our first rounder in 2009. Only Otah.

I have said before that it worked out to our advantage, and we are better off for it. But it is a gamble, and at some point, it will not pan out.

I hope that we just aren't making a habit of trading away future draft picks.

Teams usually do that when they think they are one or two players away from being a SB caliber team. Next thing you know you are the Bucs/Raiders/Seahawks...etc.

I know there's a lot of optimism floating around now that Peppers is tXtN hIs bFf LoLz, but I still think the front office plans to trade Peppers for a first.

I think Carolina would be happy to trade Pep for a first, but I dont think a team will go for it. If there is any team in the NFL that wants Pep then they know all they have to do is wait for the next off-season because Pep will be an unrestricted FA and the bidding war will begin. Why give up a first round pick for a guy that will be a FA anyway? Panthers dont need to worry about Peppers anymore, thats because they took care of business and got Brown, and dont forget we got Goodson from this trade as well. You have to take risks to get impact players in this business and Hurney and Fox have proven many times they know what they are doing.

Archived