• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Diggs, Connor, Johnson, or Other

Who Will Start at SLB  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Start at SLB

I was reading an article on the Linebacker position. It talked about the competition that Na'il Diggs has this year. I was wondering who you guys think will start at the OLB position opposite of Beason and Davis. You can read the article below.

Source: http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/NFC/NFC+South/Carolina/WWHI/2009/wwhi061209.htm

Na'il Diggs could face competition for starting SLB spot

With 21 of 22 starters from last season returning for the Panthers, legitimate battles for starting jobs in training camp will be few and far between. One could emerge, we hear, at strong-side linebacker. SLB Na’il Diggs, who will turn 31 in July, appears to be one of the team’s most vulnerable returning starters, as the team has sought out competition for him in the past. The Panthers signed Landon Johnson to compete with Diggs on the strong side last offseason, but Johnson was a major disappointment, making just 16 tackles in 15 games in 2008. The most likely competitor for Diggs' starting spot in ’09 is Dan Connor, who is coming off a torn ACL he suffered in Week Three last season after being selected in the third round of the ’08 draft. Connor took snaps with the first-team defense when Diggs sat out during a May minicamp and appears to have recovered well from his injury.

I voted Connor because as I have stated in a few other posts, Diggs isn't a Tampa 2 LB. He's slower and bigger. The only reason he starts the season out at SLB is because of seniority and, let's not kid ourselves, that means a lot to John Fox.

I'll put it this way--the same reason many of you are pimping the heck out of Brown due to the "system" (mind you before he's taken snap one in the NFL) is my exact reason why Diggs no longer fits Meeks' new style.

Mainly because he hasn't had competition like this before and word on the street is Connor looks pretty impressive.

Exactly. If people read the Panthers home page any defensive player talks about "flying" around. I think I have read that in 4,5 or 6 articles being stated by members of the defense. Diggs doesn't fly, he at best hovers. For our old defesnive scheme Diggs fit like a glove, but in this new one where lighter, quicker and faster (yes, quicker and faster are seperate attributes) Connor fits the bill. Again, Diggs is the veteran, so unseating him will be tough. I just think Connor may have the tools to do it.

Mainly because he hasn't had competition like this before and word on the street is Connor looks pretty impressive.

Hey, I loved the Connor pick, not knocking him at all. But the prevailing voices on here are saying that he doesn't have the speed to play outside. Now I don't know about that and if he can wrestle the position from Diggs, I'm all for it...

Exactly. If people read the Panthers home page any defensive player talks about "flying" around. I think I have read that in 4,5 or 6 articles being stated by members of the defense. Diggs doesn't fly, he at best hovers. For our old defesnive scheme Diggs fit like a glove, but in this new one where lighter, quicker and faster (yes, quicker and faster are seperate attributes) Connor fits the bill. Again, Diggs is the veteran, so unseating him will be tough. I just think Connor may have the tools to do it.

if anything landon is faster than connor and Diggs so maybe this scheme is more suited to him than both of them...IDK maybe but at the least i hope we get connor out there for some plays

Archived