• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Build Through the Draft Thread

SCP

But it worked....I guess we could settle for the current model and avoid them....and try to continue our impressive tradition of losing and not winning playoff games. We have settled into some funk where we don't bring in real bodies from outside....hopefully Gettelmen changes that by year 2 of his era.

Can't do it every year and I don't expect Gettlemen to do it this year.....but soon. Rivera needs to show if he stays or goes and then Gettlemen should swing for the fence IMO.

I am all for free agents I just think you are better getting guys like Dwan Edwards who aren't big names who you can develop. Most big name guys are not worth the money which is why they are being released.

How can you say on one hand we need to be like Pittsburgh and release guys in their prime and then say we should pick up other team's guys in their prime and pay them a wad. Seems hypocritical.

I am all for free agents I just think you are better getting guys like Dwan Edwards who aren't big names who you can develop. Most big name guys are not worth the money which is why they are being released.

How can you say on one hand we need to be like Pittsburgh and release guys in their prime and then say we should pick up other team's guys in their prime and pay them a wad. Seems hypocritical.

Well...Randy Moss, Ed Reed are big names. I agree you avoid those....

But there are some pretty big FAs (not household names) that generally play big roles when picked up in FA. We need to up our standard on occasion from just the the Tank Tyler and Legatron caliber FA.

I said we don't follow the Steeler model....we don't. Our FO brags about it though. I never said that model was my ideal path. I think at one point we did a pretty dang good job building teams here. We lost that....probably after Keyshawn go round. We gave up. We had some pretty solid teams that fit what our coaches wanted and made FA moves.

Guest BlueBoyRamses_E1b1a

Build through the draft. When the high pick bust, blame our loss on a Cam slump. Rivera's job is safe. Sounds familiar. Yea! Let's do that again! It is so much fun!

i agree even if panthers had bengals cap still no need to go crazy in fa.

see redskins and philly......you build through home grown drafted talent......people who LOVE fa have gms that dont know how to pick talent......

wouldnt mind a couple mid tier fa for positions hard to develop like dt or cb or s....

lt,wr and qbs are too expensive....

Last I checked Washington won the division and Philly has been a contender more than us lately. Yah the dream team failed, but a lot of that was injuries. We have injuries too. Go ahead, keep drafting Armanti's as your "home grown talent".

I wouldn't avoid Ed Reed if it were between him and the same crop of Safeties we had last year. Don't know why any one would. This has been one of the problems with this team over the years. Rather than make a move like that because it's "nonsensical" to do something "out there" we have spent years giving starting positions to players who have no business on most NFL teams simply because we didn't get around to addressing that particular position any given offseason.

Last I checked Washington won the division and Philly has been a contender more than us lately. Yah the dream team failed, but a lot of that was injuries. We have injuries too. Go ahead, keep drafting Armanti's as your "home grown talent".

are you serious.......rg3 and alfred came from the draft. trent williams came through the draft. ryan kerrigan and brian orakpo came through the draft...

everyone knows redskins are notorious for spending big money on lame ass fa.

philly has been terrible with vick(one year wonder...BIG CONTRACT lol WHAT an awsome LOGIC) and with the two corner backs who sucked,,,babin did good for one year.......lol

oh how about albert haynesworth, 100 million dollars....yeah RIGHT lol

donovan mcnabb went to 4 nfc titles.....but wait he WAS DRAFTED.

stop it.

no one is talking armanti buddy so you can miss me with that bullshit.

you can scream armanti all day and i can scream smith all day.

it all comes down to if you got a fuging competent gm..

fact is, panthers had a limp dick dumb ass gm....too bad to sad.

ill stand with my philosophy till death.....BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT TO WIN CONSISTENTLY. HA!

You draft for the future and use FA for the present. If you feel you are close you fill your holes with the best talent available. Some times that is through the draft, other times it is in the form of a FA or two.

Fortunately, the cupboard is not completely barren, so Gettlemen doesn't have to start from scratch.

If you do well in the draft you don't need to go overboard with FAs. Problem is, this is Gettlemen's first year. He is going to have to use FA as a tool this year. Get some realitively cheap FAs to plug some holes, and start drafting your type players.

Another byproduct of drafing well is that you have more money to actually offer the better FA some incentive to come aboard. If you draft well you have the luxury of letting the greedy ones leave and resign the ones that want to be here. Keeping costs low allows you to be a player in FA instead of just a bystander.

Archived