• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Vick to the Carolina Panthers????

KristenisHot

Actually, no. Vick had good downfield threats in Atlanta too, but we never knew it until Matt Ryan came along.

A big arm doesn't matter if you can't see who you're throwing to. That was always one of Vick's more troublesome issues, that he couldn't see downfield (combo of height and poor field vision). That's why he always wound up dumping it off to Alge Crumpler, the only guy tall enough for him to locate.

Vick to Smith would be a continual parade of near (and not so near) misses, the same as it was with his Falcon receivers.

Sorry, I reject that argument. Everybody on here says Jake just chucks it out there for Smitty to go for it, couldn't another QB do that as well? Again, I hate the SOB, but I must admit the man has skills, not Peyton like, but skills nonetheless...

Sorry, I reject that argument. Everybody on here says Jake just chucks it out there for Smitty to go for it, couldn't another QB do that as well? Again, I hate the SOB, but I must admit the man has skills, not Peyton like, but skills nonetheless...

Like Carr did?

Delhomme can actually see Smith when he throws. He's taller and has better field vision. The questions that come with Jake are about his decision making, not his vision. If Jake had the same issues, then the argument would apply, but he doesn't.

Vick's skill set just doesn't translate well to the Panther offense (or any conventional offense, honestly). He'd need an offense that's built around him specifically to succeed, and we both know there's no way Coach Fox would do that.

Vick will not play for us; for a number of reasons:

1. Vick wouldn't want to play for us. If he has his choice, he'd choose Dallas or Oakland, and both teams would probably lend an offer.

2. I can't see Fox throwing Jake under the bus, especially after sticking up for Jake's playoff performance which was an absolute embarrassment.

3. Having Vick changes everything. It changes our playbook and the type of team needed to be built around him. In with Vick, out with a lot of other elements. To think that any player can fall into any system and be great is fantasy. If that was true, the Redskins would win a SuperBowl ever year! They don't, because they are a stock pile of talent with no direction. That isn't Madden. This is real. The Panthers have great chemistry, so why destroy it?

4. After dealing with the fiasco that was Rae Carruth, do you think Richardson will touch Vick with a 10 foot pole? I know, electrifying small animals (actual signs of a serial killer) isn't the same as putting a hit on your pregnant girlfriend, but still... Richardson takes some pride in his team and he has a little bit of class. The same can't be said for Jerry Jones or Al Davis. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Like Carr did?

Delhomme can actually see Smith when he throws. He's taller and has better field vision. The questions that come with Jake are about his decision making, not his vision. If Jake had the same issues, then the argument would apply, but he doesn't.

Vick's skill set just doesn't translate well to the Panther offense (or any conventional offense, honestly). He'd need an offense that's built around him specifically to succeed, and we both know there's no way Coach Fox would do that.

Carr was a poo player, why bring him into this? We'll just have to agree to disagree here. I hate Vick as much as anyone, but I won't go so far as to say he couldn't be decent in our system. It's a moot point because he'd never be brought in here and I applaud that, but IMO he could thrive in the system...

Carr was a poo player, why bring him into this? We'll just have to agree to disagree here. I hate Vick as much as anyone, but I won't go so far as to say he couldn't be decent in our system. It's a moot point because he'd never be brought in here and I applaud that, but IMO he could thrive in the system...

For the point I was making, Chris Weinke is a better example. Theoretically, he also should have been able to "just chuck it up and let Smith get it", but it didn't work with him either. It just doesn't work (and for the record, wouldn't work if that were what Jake did consistently either; that's a myth).

Vick is not a fit for any conventional offense. His limitations are just too great. You have to build the entire attack around him to make it work, and even then there's no guarantee.

Add in that no one knows his durability at this point, so the risk would be monumental. If he's injured, then what? Retool the offense again, or do we have to not only sign Vick but also sign two backups with comparable skill sets?

Bottom Line: Vick would never fit into the existing Panther system. It'd have to be retooled, and the risk/reward just isn't worth it.

For the point I was making, Chris Weinke is a better example. Theoretically, he also should have been able to "just chuck it up and let Smith get it", but it didn't work with him either. It just doesn't work (and for the record, wouldn't work if that were what Jake did consistently either; that's a myth).<snip>

Thank you for posting this. It's a great point without even considering whether or not Vick would fit in with the Panthers.

Archived