• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Talk about worst Panther deals ever?

Whitaker 24

It's hard to top the Gilbert trade, honestly. The Chuck Smith signing stunk. Rod Gardner certainly never panned out, but we didn't give up much to get him.

There have been some serious whiffs in past drafts too (Passing up Leonard Little for Chuck Wiley and Mitch Marrow? Ouch).

On the flip side, some deals have been so good it was laughable. Getting Jason Baker and a 7th rounder for Todd Sauerbrun was one (forget who was drafted with that pick). Tops to me though has to be getting Al Wallace (and another 7th rounder, if I remember right) in return for Jay Williams.

All the above....

Worst Draft pick. IMO Tim "I can't last a full season" Biakabatuka instead of Eddie George.

A few times in the past, when the Panthers have had a choice between two guys, they've had a sad tendency to pick the wrong one.

Biakabutuka over Eddie George was a biggie. George would have been perfect for the run game Capers wanted. And I'll always remember Bill Polian getting asked if he had any concerns about Biakabutuka's health and his responding "None" :sosp:

DeShaun Foster over Clinton Portis was another head slapper, but I can't complain too much these days given the backfield we now have. Hard to imagine that would have happened if Portis had been here.

Gilbert holds the possibility of not just being the worst trade in Panthers history...but in NFL history

As bad as it was, there are two I can think of that were worst. The Saints trading all their picks to get Ricky Williams. And Minnesota trading for Herschel Walker from Dallas.

As bad as it was, there are two I can think of that were worst. The Saints trading all their picks to get Ricky Williams. And Minnesota trading for Herschel Walker from Dallas.

Yep. Gilbert's deal isn't on the level of those two.

It's not like Gilbert sucked when he played here. He actually played decent. But "decent" isn't what you want in return for two first round picks :(

A few times in the past, when the Panthers have had a choice between two guys, they've had a sad tendency to pick the wrong one.

Biakabutuka over Eddie George was a biggie. George would have been perfect for the run game Capers wanted. And I'll always remember Bill Polian getting asked if he had any concerns about Biakabutuka's health and his responding "None" :sosp:

DeShaun Foster over Clinton Portis was another head slapper, but I can't complain too much these days given the backfield we now have. Hard to imagine that would have happened if Portis had been here.

Gotta agree on the Portis part but I think I went to the bathroom and threw up when we let Eddie George go. I was smiling like a chessire cat when E. George was still there when we chose. So when our pick arrived I was all excited waiting for the words "With the 8th pick of the 1996 NFL Draft the Carolina Panthers Select Eddie George Running Back Ohio State" NOT Tim "Brittle Bone Syndrome" Biakabatuka

Well really Gilbert was not a trade. Washington put the franchise tag on him and we signed him and they chose not to match. So it really was not a trade. The worse trade the panthers ever made was trading a 2nd for Jeff Lewis. That guy was just God awful.

Archived