• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Talk about worst Panther deals ever?

Whitaker 24

I know the Gilbert thing was awful, but what were the details of the trade ect. What are the worst deals the panthers have made in history?

To give up 2 1st rounders and pay him the money makes Gilbert the worst trade we've ever made. Second would be trading for Bruce Smith, who's knees were completely shot...

To give up 2 1st rounders and pay him the money makes Gilbert the worst trade we've ever made. Second would be trading for Bruce Smith, who's knees were completely shot...

I think you mean Chuck Smith. And I think we signed him as a FA when Seifert was here. And I agree, it was the 2nd worse move (also the dumbest) the Panthers ever made.

The trade that we used to get Otah was very lopsided. We got great value and a great player once we had the pick, but the pick-for-pick trade itself was pretty bad.

Compare, using the Trade Value Chart as reference.

We gave up: 2009 1st (#28) + 2008 2nd (#43) + 2008 4th (#109)

. . Total value: 660 + 470 + 76 = 1206

We got in return: 2008 1st (#19)

. . Total value: 875

That's a 38% markup over what that #19 pick is really worth. I know future picks lose some value, and I didn't factor that in, but even so we lost out on this one. Also, notice our 1st in 2009 was #28. If that pick had been an early 1st rounder, the value we lose goes through the roof.

The trade we made with the 49ers this year was much better. Trading a future 1st comes with the same risk as before (potentially giving up a top 10 pick) but let's assume our future 1st will be at the exact same spot for comparison.

We gave up: 2010 1st (#28)

. . Total value: 660

We got in return: 2009 2nd (#43) + 2009 4th (#111)

. . Total value: 470 + 72 = 542

That's a 22% markup over the actual value and we are only giving up future picks, none from the current year. If we end up with the #32 pick next year (let's all hope) the trade would be almost exactly equal, which is unheard of when you're trading future picks away. That's before you factor in that Brown is a top 15 talent by most accounts.

So, at least it looks like Hurney and company have improved their negotiating skills.

The trade that we used to get Otah was very lopsided. We got great value and a great player once we had the pick, but the pick-for-pick trade itself was pretty bad.

Compare, using the Trade Value Chart as reference.

We gave up: 2009 1st (#28) + 2008 2nd (#43) + 2008 4th (#109)

. . Total value: 660 + 470 + 76 = 1206

We got in return: 2008 1st (#19)

. . Total value: 875

That's a 38% markup over what that #19 pick is really worth. I know future picks lose some value, and I didn't factor that in, but even so we lost out on this one. Also, notice our 1st in 2009 was #28. If that pick had been an early 1st rounder, the value we lose goes through the roof.

The trade we made with the 49ers this year was much better. Trading a future 1st comes with the same risk as before (potentially giving up a top 10 pick) but let's assume our future 1st will be at the exact same spot for comparison.

We gave up: 2010 1st (#28)

. . Total value: 660

We got in return: 2009 2nd (#43) + 2009 4th (#111)

. . Total value: 470 + 72 = 542

That's a 22% markup over the actual value and we are only giving up future picks, none from the current year. If we end up with the #32 pick next year (let's all hope) the trade would be almost exactly equal, which is unheard of when you're trading future picks away. That's before you factor in that Brown is a top 15 talent by most accounts.

So, at least it looks like Hurney and company have improved their negotiating skills.

I have no idea what the hell you just said but rep for you.

Archived