• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stories from Summer School

I hope you can tie the Jeff King and Delhomme to Barnbridge stories together-- Kings not laughing because GB is taking him to school, I have nothing agaisnt King but as a TE he is very average which is a Fox staple I think but maybe things are a changing

King is in no danger of losing his job unless Barnidge improves his blocking by about ten fold between now and Sept.

I have always been a Jake fan but, that is probably his biggest flaw. TUNNELVISION. or SMITTYVISION if you will.

There are a lot worse things than consistently targeting one of the most dangerous playmakers in the league. I'd be a lot more concerned if he didn't consistently target Steve.

Further, it's not as if Steve is the only one catching passes. Since Jake started at QB in 2003, Moose's catches and receiving yards in Carolina have been:

2003: 54 for 837

2004: 93 for 1405 *Smitty injured in Week One

2008: 65 for 923

So let's just compare Moose and Smitty from Jake in 2003 and 2008. Smitty's performance in those two years:

2003: 88 for 1110

2008: 78 for 1421

Moose is a solid #2. Very few teams have two receivers that receive equal attention. It's becoming more common (and not just places like AZ and Cinci) but still, we're talkin about Steve Smith.

I know that Jake often looks to Smith first - call it tunnel vision if you want - but that's because Smith is usually the first option on passing plays...because he's Steve frickin Smith. If you ask me, the man should be touching the ball even more. I miss seeing him on the end around multiple times each season.

In my opinion, Jake's biggest weakness or flaw is the same as his biggest strength: his emotion.

Archived