• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why i think well take a WR at the top of the draft

Panthers4lyfe

Just heard Ron on Sirius nfl radio at the college practices. He was talking with Tim Ryan and Pat kirwin about why he was there and a little about our season. They hinted about Sylvester Williams, DT out of unc.. Saying he would shore out line up and really help hardy and cj wreak havoc. Looks like he may be available in 2nd or 3rd and is the 8th rated dt. He is rather raw but freakish.

Like you, I don't do a lot of research until the draft nerds have narrowed down the field to a manageable number of candidates, then I'll take a look at the most likely candidates.

That said, I have looked at some tape (read YouTube highlights) of both Patterson and Allen. Patterson looks exceptional in the open field, but I was really turned off by his pass catching. Most of his receptions he was catching just like fielding a punt. He consistently lets the ball get into his body. Allen on the other hand, showed good hands and body control.

Take all that with a grain of salt though, as again, so far my "research" amounts to one YouTube highlight reel of each one of them. It is just something to keep your eye on as the process unfolds.

Pretty much the same here. I like Patterson, he's an athletic freak but hate that he body catches so much. As Bwood said, raw as raw can be but potential through the roof.

Not that I think he's going #14, but if you want to watch someone who high points and catches with his hands, check out Hunter from Tennessee. He's fun to watch and faster than I thought he'd be, but has the previous injury and really only seemed to be coming back to form near the end of the season.

I have no idea what they feed the WRs at Tennessee.

I'd like a developmental DT in the fourth, maybe, if we had to go WR and/or OT/OG early. To be fair, my defensive heart would rather go defense, like CB or obviously DT first, but if Warmack's there, the value's just too good to pass up. Fluker would be another worthy consideration. I'm prepared to see Gross and Gamble both go, but that would also possibly create too many roster holes on an already thin roster.

I'd like a developmental DT in the fourth, maybe, if we had to go WR and/or OT/OG early. To be fair, my defensive heart would rather go defense, like CB or obviously DT first, but if Warmack's there, the value's just too good to pass up. Fluker would be another worthy consideration. I'm prepared to see Gross and Gamble both go, but that would also possibly create too many roster holes on an already thin roster.

Stick with your defensive heart.

If you are looking at value at 14, you pick the hardest guy to replace in free agency due to prohibitive cost at that position. So OT would be in play as would DE, corner, or WR. Of course who is there when we pick and how highly we have them rated will decide with way we go unless we are drafting need instead of BPA. I am most worried about corner this year but I don't have a clue about who might actually be available in free agency and what we will have to spend. But picking a corner in the first 2 rounds is the only way we assure they can come in and contribute right away. Unless you like who we have. WR is definitely a need, the question is when we address it and in what round. Do we look for a contributor or a star.

Archived