• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why i think well take a WR at the top of the draft

Panthers4lyfe

If we have another top weapon, we could really start stretching things out on offense. There's a decent crop of OGs and OTs in the draft so if we go WR in the first with Patterson/Williams/Hopkins/Allen, we still have some strong options to build a o-line:

-G-

Cooper

Alvin Bailey

Larry Warford

Omoregie Uzzi

Jeff Baca

-T-

Oday Aboushi

Justin Pugh

Dallas Thomas (T/G)

Dave Bakhtiara

Kyle Long

Ricky Wagner

Compare that to scenario of getting a lineman in the 1st then looking for a receiver later on and its a similar risk/reward situation. I'd just like to think we went out and got someone that can really help Cam and Co. crank out some wins for the franchise near the top of the draft.

what ive been voting for

you're leaving out the part where he also said we need touchdown scorers...and i think he actually said that before saying something about the big guys, and it could even be that he meant WRs that are big guys. he didn't specifically say OL. also...he's coming from a winning culture that has picked WRs early every year for the past 5-6 years. they know, as he does, that you have to have a good receiving corps, which we don't really have.

He sure did--Good point. I guess we hear what we want to hear. I want a stud OL. We need a stud WR, OG, DT, etc.

When I think about it, our running game was not good and the only 2 targets (probably 75% of the time) were to Smitty or Olsen.

We have a bunch of OK WRs--if we get one, it needs to be a stud.

He sure did--Good point. I guess we hear what we want to hear. I want a stud OL. We need a stud WR, OG, DT, etc.

When I think about it, our running game was not good and the only 2 targets (probably 75% of the time) were to Smitty or Olsen.

We have a bunch of OK WRs--if we get one, it needs to be a stud.

i think it would be.

i can see the need to draft OL early, same with DT. the only problem i have with either is the immediate impact they can make and the time it takes to develop them to the point that they aren't looking like they are wearing roller skates.

my preference this year is FS and WR the first couple rounds and then address needs in the trenches with experienced guys who lost their skates.

if, tho, we do draft someone in the trenches i won't be upset, esp. because i trust gettelman. i trusted hurney with first round picks (providing he was using them instead of trading them) and i esp. trusted the new college scouting department that came aboard in the last year or so.

but gettleman comes with such clout, experience, and talent in the personnel department it's hard to not see us hitting an even bigger homerun with not just our first pick, but the first couple.

i'll make arguments for whoever bandwagon i jump on, but really i'm cool with whoever.

the only real concern i have this next year is the coaching staff.

if, tho, we do draft someone in the trenches i won't be upset, esp. because i trust gettelman. i trusted hurney with first round picks (providing he was using them instead of trading them) and i esp. trusted the new college scouting department that came aboard in the last year or so.

but gettleman comes with such clout, experience, and talent in the personnel department it's hard to not see us hitting an even bigger homerun with not just our first pick, but the first couple.

i'll make arguments for whoever bandwagon i jump on, but really i'm cool with whoever.

the only real concern i have this next year is the coaching staff.

I think it was Gettlemen who said something like, "We have peices" but not hte whole (something to that effect). Hurney picked solid players in the first round, but he ignored some positions--never understood why. It seems to be a Panther tradition to have no DTs and only 1 WR.

I started looking at this draft from the OL/DL perspective early, but we are in a great position to find a game breaker in the first round. Who do you like? If we were to go WR, it seems there are so many bunched together right now--none as good as the Green/Jones draft but several very solid players.

I think we will be bigger players in free agency than people think. It is tight, but we can make enough room to sign a mid level DT and RG.

I think it was Gettlemen who said something like, "We have peices" but not hte whole (something to that effect). Hurney picked solid players in the first round, but he ignored some positions--never understood why. It seems to be a Panther tradition to have no DTs and only 1 WR.

I started looking at this draft from the OL/DL perspective early, but we are in a great position to find a game breaker in the first round. Who do you like? If we were to go WR, it seems there are so many bunched together right now--none as good as the Green/Jones draft but several very solid players.

I think we will be bigger players in free agency than people think. It is tight, but we can make enough room to sign a mid level DT and RG.

i've got to say the one that really excites me is that coradelle patterson kid. raw, but man can he move. dude has some decent height to him and a good frame. he's apparently a quick study and hard worker. his potential is through the roof and he's got what he needs to refine what he needs to quickly. i love the kid's versatility.

dream scenario for me is refine him and joe adams and let them loose on the field with lafell and olsen. good googly moogly that could be fun. left out smitty because i think he'll be retiring in the next couple years. but adding smitty to that would be great as well.

i haven't put a whole lot of time into the draft because, believe it or not...i work. but right now from where we sit in the draft patterson looks to be about the only non-keenan allen guy i'd take.

at OL and DT...i don't know. i liked that warmack kid, but he's probably going to be gone quickly. beyond that i just haven't looked all that much. i'll let other people do the looking for me and just see what i like. :)

With a new GM in town, we can throw all past tendancies out the window.

The fun part of this draft is that we really have no clue which direct Gettleman will go.

I am still in the camp of BPA at the following positions:

WR

DT

OL

DB (either CB or S)

that's pretty much the case for me.

i trust gettleman to make the right call. no way do i know what he's going to see when he really starts looking at the tape of the guys we've got and what he sees is the best way to handle them. no way do i know what tendencies he will have aside from what i've seen at NYG. no way do i know what he's going to do with the cap and personnel changes that will be made. i don't have a clue what he's going to do or be able to do in FA or via trade.

we're working with a whole lot of unknowns, but this guy has been around enough and successful enough that i'm not going to spend much time worrying or trying to figure out what he's gonna do. this is a case of me just being along for the ride and feeling good about where it's going, even though i don't know where that is.

i've got to say the one that really excites me is that coradelle patterson kid. raw, but man can he move. dude has some decent height to him and a good frame. he's apparently a quick study and hard worker. his potential is through the roof and he's got what he needs to refine what he needs to quickly. i love the kid's versatility.

Like you, I don't do a lot of research until the draft nerds have narrowed down the field to a manageable number of candidates, then I'll take a look at the most likely candidates.

That said, I have looked at some tape (read YouTube highlights) of both Patterson and Allen. Patterson looks exceptional in the open field, but I was really turned off by his pass catching. Most of his receptions he was catching just like fielding a punt. He consistently lets the ball get into his body. Allen on the other hand, showed good hands and body control.

Take all that with a grain of salt though, as again, so far my "research" amounts to one YouTube highlight reel of each one of them. It is just something to keep your eye on as the process unfolds.

Like you, I don't do a lot of research until the draft nerds have narrowed down the field to a manageable number of candidates, then I'll take a look at the most likely candidates.

That said, I have looked at some tape (read YouTube highlights) of both Patterson and Allen. Patterson looks exceptional in the open field, but I was really turned off by his pass catching. Most of his receptions he was catching just like fielding a punt. He consistently lets the ball get into his body. Allen on the other hand, showed good hands and body control.

Take all that with a grain of salt though, as again, so far my "research" amounts to one YouTube highlight reel of each one of them. It is just something to keep your eye on as the process unfolds.

same here. what little i have read about patterson, though, is that he learns quickly and is really coachable. for any raw talents with high ceilings, those two things have to be there. i think that proehl can do a good job teaching the fundamentals.

Archived