• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why i think well take a WR at the top of the draft

Panthers4lyfe

i truely think at the top of the draft wil be about protecting and getting cam a weapon. giants did it a few times for eli...

2012, RB david wilson in the 1st and WR rueben randle in the 2nd

2011, wr jerrell jernigan in the 3rrd

2009, wr hakeem nicks in the1st, OL will beaty in the 2nd, also WR ramses barden in 3rd, TE travis beckum in the 4th

2008 wr mario manningham in the 3rd

2007 wr steve smith in the 2nd, TE kevin boss 5th round, rb ahmad bradshaw 7th

2006 wr sinorice moss in the 2nd

that's the top of their drafts sine taking eli in 2004.. most drafted positions were WR's and DB's.

With us probably cutting gamble i could see our draft going this way..

1st- WR-keenan allen or cordarelle patterson(depending on combine, pro days)

2nd-OL-Barret Jones or DB Eric Reid

3rd-DB-David Amerson

now this is pure speculations but i also have facts showing what the Gmen did with gettleman near the top and it worked. i could certainly see him go this route with a wideout in the 1st

If we go WR I hope we take Patterson. The guy's ceiling is through the rough despite being relatively raw right now. I can promise you that he is going to absolutely destroy the combine and his stock will climb like crazy in the days leading up to the draft. He has the potential to be an elite talent at the next level if he can refine his route running and work on his hands. Hopefully he could learn a lot from 89 and co. for a couple years before having to emerge as Cam's primary target.

However, I still think we go OL/DT in the first and second. I wouldn't be surprised if we addressed pass-catchers in the 4th. I realize we don't have any true #1 WRs waiting in the wings behind Steve Smith but with the bodies we have at the position id like one more year to see who develops and sticks to this roster. With LaFell, Murphy, Edwards, Pilares, Adams, and Gettis... next year will really tell us all we need to know about the receiver position. I believe next season is when we will take our heir to Steve Smith. The WR class of the 2014 draft is strong.

First of all, for the thousandth time we do not have a third round pick.

And second of all, you should try looking up some players besides big name overrated SEC players.

i accept the fact that for 1 second i forgot we don't have our 3rd because of the frank alexander deal, which is worth it..

but i looked up the entire drafts for the giants, not just SEC guys. They take a wr in the top 3 rounds EVERY year..

So while next years draft class may be strong, its very very possible we take one this year in the 1st and next year in the 2nd.

rueben randle-LSU, jerrel jernigan-Troy, Hakeem Nicks-UNC, Ramses Barden-Cal.Poly, Mario Manningham-Michigan, Steve Smith-USC Trojans, Sinorice Moss-The U.. so 1 guy out of 7 played in the SEC and your so defensive that they immediately ALL became overrated SEC players? come on man. you really gotta let up on trying to give people crap, plus you suck at it lol

I think we should go wr on the first and ol in the second. If you hated the offense this year imagine if Smith goes down. He isn't that young anymore and it takes a wr a year or two to fully grasp the NFL so it's best to get him now. This years two picks should be all about Cam. Giving him weapons and protection

It'll be WR/OL/DL in the 1st, for sure. Just depends on what (if anything) we do In FA. I could def see us going WR at 14. DT in the 2nd and OL in FA.

Yea FA will play a role in this also. But isnt it easier to find a decent dt in FA then a ot? I think we could plug up dt and S in free agency if we could (big if) get some cap space

Still think oline is the biggest need that will pay the biggest dividends. Gotta stop asking Cam to do it all.

O-line upgrade allows the other MAJOR playmakers on the team to contribute without Cam Newton getting them the ball. Doesn't matter who you have at WR if Cam is on his back. He isn't reading defenses quickly enough yet to make up for poor pass protection either.

Archived