• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers' quicker pressure defense sitting well with Lewis

scpanther22

according to AK the thread was about Peppers because Lewis made mention that he thought Pep would work out in the new defense...

the very defense that is that this thread is really about.

I don't think anyone here is surprised that the the little guy got confused though so I am gonna let it go. Chalk another one up to teen angst and poor public schooling and move on.

I'm just sayin, it's obvious the players want Pep back... There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and should really show a lot of people here that the guys in the trenches who know what the fug is going on are the ones that A) think Pep is going to love and do well in this defense and B) that they want Pep back.

With that said, all the bashing on Pep is also a bash on the team as well... Which I find interesting... The team obviously feels Pep is worth everything that it's taking to keep him here. So you can disagree with the players all ya want, but they obviously know more than we do.

all this ranting over Pep not being here is a waste of time. When he shows up in TC, you may feel at peace that you have wasted a lot of angry feelings and breath over nothing at all..

If he doesn't, well then you all can get on a soapbox and still, accomplish nothing at all...

I'm just sayin, it's obvious the players want Pep back... There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and should really show a lot of people here that the guys in the trenches who know what the fug is going on are the ones that A) think Pep is going to love and do well in this defense and B) that they want Pep back.

With that said, all the bashing on Pep is also a bash on the team as well... Which I find interesting... The team obviously feels Pep is worth everything that it's taking to keep him here. So you can disagree with the players all ya want, but they obviously know more than we do.

all this ranting over Pep not being here is a waste of time. When he shows up in TC, you may feel at peace that you have wasted a lot of angry feelings and breath over nothing at all..

If he doesn't, well then you all can get on a soapbox and still, accomplish nothing at all...

there has never been a time when Peppers could legitimately be attacked personally or skill-wise and it make sense but there was an "initial shock" period that lasted up until the draft ended. Nothing good comes out of bashing a player that has been nothing but good for us that the players like and is almost irreplaceable when the best case scenario for the team is for him to come in and be productive.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to bleys again.

Another epic post by the Bleys. :cheers2:

Players would not say things like this if they did not believe it and that is encouraging. They sound genuine and I do not think any players would blow smoke knowing they would look very foolish once Peppers saw through the smoke screen.

This encourages me about the defense especially. If the players do not think Peppers will appreciate the changes, I seriously doubt that they would make ANY attempt at coaxing his return.

I believe the players are saying what they feel (interesting that you believe them in this case). I also don't think that if they were simply hyping the new defense and they actually didn't feel that way or it didn't pan out it would look like they were blowing smoke. I take those comments to mean that they all want him back because they feel he helps their defense be better new scheme or not, and makes their jobs easier. If he isn't there this year, it will hurt all those guys in doing their jobs.

I believe the players are saying what they feel (interesting that you believe them in this case). I also don't think that if they were simply hyping the new defense and they actually didn't feel that way or it didn't pan out it would look like they were blowing smoke. I take those comments to mean that they all want him back because they feel he helps their defense be better new scheme or not, and makes their jobs easier. If he isn't there this year, it will hurt all those guys in doing their jobs.

It goes without saying that they want him back. Who wouldn't. I don't think they would be going on and on (several players now) about how good he would look in Meeks' scheme were there not significant adjustments to TRGO's scheme that they honestly feel he would fit. I do not think they would blow smoke because they would be stupid to do so. I think there is a code amongst players and lesser players do not typically front the role of coaxing all-pro's back into the fold in the middle of contractual stalemates. Hopefully they have done enough and Pep has heard enough to get him into camp so he can see for himself.

As far as me believing him here and not when they praise what a great QB Delhomme is I agree that is strange. I guess I see the situations as different. They are different if you really look at them.

I wonder how the players would react in front of the camera if Jake was off campus, a no show in OTA's, unsigned, and looking to force a stalemate with the FO if there was a talented 2nd round pick at his position who was eager and performing well with the team in the OTA's. The situations are not the same. Julius has turned his nose up at the Panthers and they are begging him back. Jake seems to be an invincible cog in the Panthers machine that can never do wrong and that (to me) opens the door to the possibility of at least some players accepting the situation and playing the game for the media at times.

***not to make this a Jake thread but just to explain what I see as the difference in the situations since you brought it up

We will have to agree to disagree on the other, and you are right, I asked you to go off topic a bit so I will leave it at that.

I don't think it always goes without saying that teammates want a good player back on their team if they feel he is disruptive to team chemistry. On this very team we had the Jenkins situation. Jenks didn't want to be in Carolina, like Pep doesn't want to be in Carolina. Jenks is a very talented player who made the team better. Same with Pep. But, I don't recall any team members really coming out in support of Jenks in the media. In fact, most of us thought that the comments some guys made about "addition by subtraction" before last season referred mainly to Jenks.

We will have to agree to disagree on the other, and you are right, I asked you to go off topic a bit so I will leave it at that.

I don't think it always goes without saying that teammates want a good player back on their team if they feel he is disruptive to team chemistry. On this very team we had the Jenkins situation. Jenks didn't want to be in Carolina, like Pep doesn't want to be in Carolina. Jenks is a very talented player who made the team better. Same with Pep. But, I don't recall any team members really coming out in support of Jenks in the media. In fact, most of us thought that the comments some guys made about "addition by subtraction" before last season referred mainly to Jenks.

Agreed on the Jenks situation. To clarify because I said they would be foolish not to want him does not mean they would be foolish not to want any good player that helped them. I don't see Jenks and Peppers in the same light at all. Also I still think they truly believe there is enough of a change that they feel like they can mention his name in the media. To me that is very encouraging for our defense and the most encouraging thing I have heard since they tagged him. Also I still do not believe that Damione Lewsis or even Beason would put his name in their mouths to the media in the middle of a situation that has been so quiet if they were not genuine in their belief that he would like the changes. And I don't recall any DE's saying this. They may feel it to be true but thye stand to get a starting spot that may also be easier on them if he holds out.

has anybody heard one of our DE's talking about how great Pep would be in the scheme?

Just wanted to ask AKPantherfan....

when Peppers comes back....

and should our defense return to a top 5 rating ~ would you then be content with Peppers and how much he's making?

This really should be more about how much better our defense will be with Peppers.

You were basically saying there is nothing Peppers could do to earn his tag contract.

I'm thinking if our defense returns to being a top rated defense, Peppers will have had a huge part of that ~ and be worth every penny.

Agreed on the Jenks situation. To clarify because I said they would be foolish not to want him does not mean they would be foolish not to want any good player that helped them. I don't see Jenks and Peppers in the same light at all. Also I still think they truly believe there is enough of a change that they feel like they can mention his name in the media. To me that is very encouraging for our defense and the most encouraging thing I have heard since they tagged him. Also I still do not believe that Damione Lewsis or even Beason would put his name in their mouths to the media in the middle of a situation that has been so quiet if they were not genuine in their belief that he would like the changes. And I don't recall any DE's saying this. They may feel it to be true but thye stand to get a starting spot that may also be easier on them if he holds out.

has anybody heard one of our DE's talking about how great Pep would be in the scheme?

I haven't heard any DE's speaking out.. It could be that they want a shot at starting, but I also think none are leaders on the team like Lewis and Beason are... They are all in their 2nd year (or 3rd for Johnson) at the most with the team (and that 2nd year hasn't even started)..

That's not to say they can't speak out.. I just think it's more of a reason why they wouldn't...

Archived