• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RG3 not built for the NFL

Zod

The question becomes who do you blame more: Griffin for insisting he could keep playing or Shanahan for keeping him in?

100% on Shanny.

Just about every player is going to want to go back in, regardless. RG3 was pretty obviously injured before the half, that knee has been bad for a while now (bad enough for a doctor to come out to the press before the game and basically say "I didn't allow him back, it's not on me"), they had Cousins on the bench who had come in already this season and delivered a pressure win for them and they still sent him (RG3) back in.

Way to gamble a player's livelihood for a Wildcard win there, Mike.

I absolutely blame Shanahan, that idiot should never have risked his franchise's future by putting RG3 back out there when it was obvious he wasn't even at 60%.

And as for whether RG3 will be able to take hits like that all that often, I don't know. I do know that players attempt to arm tackle Cam far more frequently than they do RG3. Something about 260 lbs of muscle tends to make defenders choose their steps wisely.

But he really is NOT built for the NFL. This is first season, and he's had numerous injuries and issues. He'll shatter if he lives by the option and running, and just like we seen in the playoff game, he's not scary enough without the run threat. Maybe he can become a pure pocket passer, who knows. The Redskins didn't even have much confidence in him, hence them drafting Cousins in the 4th round.

RGIII will be gone in 5 years, tops. Wouldn't be surprised if sooner, due to injury. Having knee issues in your first season when your reputation is a running QB is not good.

He can't throw down field consistently unless the receiver is wide open.

He can't throw as effectively without his run threat.

Those two things are NOT good signs. A QB in this league has to be able to throw the intermediate/long routes while there is some coverage and drop it in an area where a catch is possible. It doesn't have to be a perfect ball, but a catchable ball (even if the receiver has to stretch out for it a bit). I've watched his past few games, and I am just not seeing that. I have seen him skip a ball off the ground on a 15 yard out route where, had he just gotten the ball there, it would have been an impressive, NFL throw.

He's young, so he does get the rookie pass. Let's see him next season. If he comes out and tears it up and shows he can be a consistent passer (or signs that he's heading there), and if he can stay healthy (not likely, IMO), then we can talk like he is going to be around to be compared to Luck and Cam. I'd love to have Cam, Luck, and Bob as the big three QBs in 8-10 years time, but I think that Cam may be the only one (Luck has to get more consistent as well to start those talks).

It's on the coach, at least as far as we know (e.g., did a doctor say RG3 was good to play? if so, wtf.). RG3 is a young kid that wanted to give his team his all. He has tremendous confidence and doesn't want to let his team down.

It's up to the coach to realize that:

1) He has to protect the health of his players,

2) He has a better chance of winning with a quarterback that can plant and throw, even if it limits the offense in other ways.

Thats because Cam outweighs 90% of the defensive players trying to tackle him. When defenders see an avg QB start to scramble, their eyes get huge as they envision that huge bone jarring hit. When Cam starts to run, defensive players close their eyes and hope Cam decides to cut rather than run over them.

let's not get carried away, Cam only outweighs db's.

let's not get carried away, Cam only outweighs db's.

Hell, everybody outweighs the DBs (even some kickers).

Cam is bigger than some safeties and linebackers as well. On the real tip, Cam is more agile and strong than most QBs, so the lineman usually get juked by him, and so all that's left is the backfield.

I don't blame shannahan. The moment rg3 lied and said he wasn't injuried just hurt is the moment he accepts all Responsibility to what happens to him. He knew he wasn't alright but decided to stay out anyways. Cousins beat the browns and got lucky at Baltimore. There's no way he is coming in and beating the Seahawks shannahan probably he's are only chance so if he says he's alright then that's what we will do.

Archived