• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RG3 not built for the NFL

Zod

RG3 is plenty big enough. Hell he is 6'2". Now Russell Wilson is just not big enough he is only 5'11", 5'10" by some reports.

Wait....me thinks somebody is lying in their media guide.

201301061854680402582-p2_zps30247ef3.jpeg

Not about height....about build. RGIII doesn't have the build for the extra contact.

One thing that ought to be clearly separated here...

Criticism of Griffin's physical durability is not equal to criticizing his skills as a player.

Dan Morgan was a phenomenal player. You could argue his skill set and his passion for football might have led him to the Hall of Fame if he's just been able to stay healthy. Unfortunately, he couldn't.

Griffin has shown that he has the skill to be a very good NFL quarterback. I just don't think his body will hold up long enough for him to have that chance.

(and obviously, I'm not alone in that thought)

Well said.

Not about height....about build. RGIII doesn't have the build for the extra contact.

I don't think RG3 is 6'2" was my point and he sure as hell isn't built for extra contact.

I agree with you but the point of my picture is that somebody's media guide is lying.

I don't think RG3 is 6'2" was my point and he sure as hell isn't built for extra contact.

I agree with you but the point of my picture is that somebody's media guide is lying.

Could be posture, angle, something like that.

Pretty sure his official Combine height measurement was 6'2 or at least close to it, though you're correct that teams occasionally fudge a bit on height/weight numbers.

Could be posture, angle, something like that.

Pretty sure his official Combine height measurement was 6'2 or at least close to it, though you're correct that teams occasionally fudge a bit on height/weight numbers.

Back when I was in high school, they once put that one of our players ran a flat 4.0 forty in the media guide, so yeah, this is nothing new.

Back when I was in high school, they once put that one of our players ran a flat 4.0 forty in the media guide, so yeah, this is nothing new.

When I was a sophomore I magically put on about 20 pounds when our roster was listed in the local paper :lol:

It works the other way too. I think the Packers used to list Gilbert Brown as something like 330. I heard announcers say something like "yeah right; maybe if you subtract his legs."

I think Vick is tougher i.e. can take hits better than RG3, but when it comes to accuracy, Vick's got nothing on RG3.

RG3 is gonna need learn to slide real quick or he will be out of the leage in a couple of years.

Over the course of a career, I'd agree, though in fairness Vick hasn't been all that durable lately.

(having a turnstile offensive line will do that)

I'll tell you this for those that haven't played sports. An athlete says "coach, I think I'm too hurt to keep playing" about as frequently as a member of Congress says "you know, I don't really need that pay raise".

Anyone else remember Byron Leftwich being carried to the line of scrimmage by his college teammates between plays? That's a pretty good example of how badly athletes want to compete.

I probably wasn't much more than eight or nine years old the first time I heard the phrase "play through it". You're taught that from early on, and the guys who make it to the pros have a mindset that's probably pretty similar to Monty Python's Black Knight ("just a flesh wound").

Griffin definitely deserves a fair share of the blame for insisting on staying in, but I think about anybody who saw him in that game could tell he needed to sit down.

Shanahan should have benched him for his oen good. Now, like a lot of people do, he may well have sacrificed a long-term benefit for a short-term boost.

Yeah Shanahan should be getting the lion's share of the blame here.

I know Griffin should have know better but I mean....the NFL is littered with examples of QBs playing when they really should have been sitting. Stafford coming back into a game with a separated shoulder. I'm pretty sure Marino was so hobbled he could barely walk at some point. We could go on. It's on the coaching staff to either be able to see that someone shouldn't be out there or to consult a doctor who could tell them the player shouldn't be out there.

As far as I'm concerned Shanahan put Griffin in harm's way. If that knee doesn't go back to exactly the way it was before the injury the Redskins have an awfully expensive (in terms of draft picks) player that Shanahan devalued. I can't imagine that will go over well. To say nothing of the potential impact on Griffin's career.

Archived