• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN RB Situations

skarbar001

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4230333

How does Carolina have any drama in the backfield? I think Clayton just completely struck out on this one. And IIRC Deangelo had 20 total touchdowns, no where near 15. Will ESPN ever get anything right?

i guess its drama because both back are capable of starting and only one can be the starter..and when stew gets better williams will get less carries

I kind of agree with his comments. The drama comes from us having two top starter quality backs. Fox will need to do a good job of managing the duo to ensure both are utilized.

It could be a problem if Stewart had a huge ego and did not like sharing the load...same with Williams.

I think both know that they make each other better...and there are plenty of carries to go around in our offensive scheme.

the issue will come up when we go to re-sign them.

He didn't say there would be drama, just that DWill "can't celebrate too much because his backup, Jonathan Stewart, has Steven Jackson-type ability". Basically, DWill can't let his play drop off even the slightest if he expects to see as many carries as he did last year, which I agree with.

Also said, "Ideally, John Fox would love to find a way to get both backs over 1,000 yards" which I agree with too. I think this year the carries will be closer to 50/50 and both backs go over 1000 yards. DWills stats will drop off somewhat due to losing carries.

Drama about the starting spot though? I just don't see it with the personality of these guys. They are both team-first guys. I'm not worried about the competition becoming a problem. If anything they seem to feed off each other and elevate their play.

He didn't say there would be drama, just that DWill "can't celebrate too much because his backup, Jonathan Stewart, has Steven Jackson-type ability". Basically, DWill can't let his play drop off even the slightest if he expects to see as many carries as he did last year, which I agree with.

Also said, "Ideally, John Fox would love to find a way to get both backs over 1,000 yards" which I agree with too. I think this year the carries will be closer to 50/50 and both backs go over 1000 yards. DWills stats will drop off somewhat due to losing carries.

Drama about the starting spot though? I just don't see it with the personality of these guys. They are both team-first guys. I'm not worried about the competition becoming a problem. If anything they seem to feed off each other and elevate their play.

this makes everything else moot points.

If having two awsome RB's is a problem, it's the most beautiful problem we could possibly have. Hell, it looks like even the back ups to double trouble are gonna be better than some of the starters this team has had in the past. I'm especially excited about the new element that Goodson looks like he's gonna bring. We may have our own Bush/Norwood type of player for opponents to worry about.

But that's exactly my point, Clayton's introduction for this article is "drama and competition." The competition I understand but I believe both these guys could care less who the starter is. They care about winning and winning as a team. Every team has competition for almost all positions, why even add the Panthers to the list? I think he, he thinks drama is accompanied with it since he doesn't know much about the Panthers. Which I may add, is blaintenly obvious by his lack of knowledge on Williams total TDs.

But that's exactly my point, Clayton's introduction for this article is "drama and competition." The competition I understand but I believe both these guys could care less who the starter is. They care about winning and winning as a team. Every team has competition for almost all positions, why even add the Panthers to the list? I think he, he thinks drama is accompanied with it since he doesn't know much about the Panthers. Which I may add, is blaintenly obvious by his lack of knowledge on Williams total TDs.

you're reading too much into it.

the word drama as you see it doesn't apply to most of the teams' backfields on that list.

you're reading too much into it.

the word drama as you see it doesn't apply to most of the teams' backfields on that list.

agreed...

Don't look at the word "drama" and think "cowgirls".. Think "drama" and "hard decision to make in the future"...

Two heads are better than on. I think they are both smart enough to realize that. I sure am glad that neither of them act like Pac Man Jones. They also both seem to have jovial personalities, kind of like Portis. I'm really in love with our running game right now. :cheers2:

Archived