• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pat Ranks NFC South Linemen

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-12-19/Ranking-the-NFC-South-offensive-linemen.html

We've completed the quarterbacks, running backs, tight ends and wide receivers in our NFC South position ratings. Now, it's time for the offensive linemen. We're not breaking them into different positions, but are considering the premium placed on left tackles, the most important people on the offensive line.

1. Jordan Gross, Carolina. He finally got All-Pro recognition last year as the Panthers returned to coach John Fox's ball-control offense.

2. Jeff Faine, Tampa Bay. A case can be made he's the best center in the league. He's also the leader of a very good offensive line.

3. Todd McClure, Atlanta. Go ahead and argue all you want about their underrated center. The Falcons ran the ball and protected rookie Matt Ryan very well last year. It had to start somewhere. It started with McClure.

4. Davin Joseph, Tampa Bay. The Bucs have been building the interior of their line for several seasons and it looks like they've got it right with Joseph and Faine.

5. Jammal Brown, New Orleans. Not as dominant as Gross, but he's got the Pro Bowl on his resume and has kept Drew Brees standing.

6. Donald Penn, Tampa Bay. Fire away on this one. I know the rule of thumb is you get your left guard in the first round. Penn's far from dominant, but so are a lot of tackles who were taken in the first round. He's become a solid, reasonably-priced player at a key position.

7. Jeff Otah, Carolina. One single move allowed Fox to return to his ball-control system. That was drafting Otah, a natural mauler and placing him at right tackle.

8. Jahri Evans, New Orleans. This guy has started all 48 games in four years and almost never makes a mistake.

9. Sam Baker, Atlanta. His status as a left tackle taken in the first round is a little shaky because of injury problems last year. But, if Baker comes back healthy, he could be in the top five.

10. Travelle Wharton, Carolina. I'm giving Wharton a very slight nod of New Orleans guard Carl Nicks, who had a very nice rookie season. Another season like that and Nicks will move ahead. But I'm keeping Wharton right now for his versatility and heady play.

I'd argue that our linemen should be much higher. Tampa Bay has way too many in the top half.

Move everyone up one spot take out Baker and put in Ryan Kalil

So TB and ATLs center is that much better than ours??? A bit laughable but hell its an opinion poll....

I agree that Faine is a good center, but its arguable that he's the best in our division.

I still believe Baker is and will be a bust.

I wouldn't say that. He was pretty good when he was in there. Missing so much time with that back injury should put him down the list though.

Also, I would put Kalil up there with any center in the south, and he's just getting started.

Well if you picked out of the remaining offensive linemen for the Panthers who would you put on the list and who would you take off.

Panthers Linemen

G- Mackenzy Bernadeau

T- Patrick Brown

T- Gerald Cadogan

G- C.J. Davis

G- Justin Geisinger

C- Keith Gray

T- Jordan Gross

C- Ryan Kalil

T- Jeff Otah

T- Jonathan Palmer

G- Duke Robinson