• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Palm Pre...anyone getting this phone?

stankowalski

My cell phone company is Sprint and has been for about 7 years now. I kind of liked the iPhone when it came out and was tempted to switch to AT&T just to get it...but I didn't. The two main reasons being that Sprints coverage in my area is better than AT&T's and the iPhone didn't have a physical QWERTY keyboard. So I stuck with my Treo 700p. But now this phone is getting ready to be released and it looks like it has almost everything I want out of a new smartphone.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/03/palm-pre-review/

Internet interface was horrible/ slow internet, No WiFi, no bluetooth worked good with it, bad reception, bad battery life when using the internet, no time display when in sleep mode are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

I definitely won't own the first iteration of the Pre

The only thing that I don't like about the Pre from what I've read so far is that it doesn't have a slot for an expansion card...unless I missed something somewhere. However, that doesn't bother so much because the Pre has 8 gigs of memory on board (compared to about 80 Mb for my Treo 700p). Another thing that I'm too thrilled about is that it doesn't have a video function, but that apparently can be added with updates.

I've read nothing but pretty positive reviews so far, so I'm not too worried about bugs and glitches, although I am sure there will be some (what phone doesn't at launch?).

Internet interface was horrible/ slow internet, No WiFi, no bluetooth worked good with it, bad reception, bad battery life when using the internet, no time display when in sleep mode are a few I can think of off the top of my head.
If you're talking about the browser then I can sort of see where you are coming from, but I haven't ever really seen any cell phone browsers worth anything. As for slow internet speeds, you must be in an area with limited Sprint coverage because I can use my Treo 700p as a modem and it works pretty well. No WiFi is right, although the Pre does offer wifi connections. Bluetooth works great with my phone...either with an ear piece or syncing with Palm Desktop to my laptop, no problems. Bad reception could be your particular area. Bad battery life when using the internet...no poo? Internet usage drains any battery from any brand cell phone. I have no idea what you mean by no time display when in sleep mode.

8 Gigs is good until you start installing some apps, the GPS I have on my phone now is 3 gigs add some videos and other misc programs you are screwed before you know it.
The 8 gigs does worry me. And a GPS app for a cell phone that is 3 gigs sounds ridiculous...are you sure you have that right?

I get 8 hrs of internet with WiFi on with my phone now and 99% of it is used watching live streaming TV at work.... By sleep mode I mean most phones have a dim clock on sleep mode the treo does not so in the middle of the night if I want to check the time without rolling over to my wifes side of the bed where our clock is I would be blinded by the brightness.

Archived